• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Classic Old Engine Photos

John Davidson

eMail NOT Working
Last Subscription Date
11/25/2019
Re: Classic old engine photos

Here is a picture of my 6 HP Springfield taken more than a hundred years ago. I got this picture and one other of this engine when I bought it back in 1968. It is not very often you get a original picture of a 1890s engine when you aquire it. I was very luicky that day. This picture was helpful in replicating the cooling system during restoration.

Attachments

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019

Hi Wayne,

I have been checking out that webpage for sometime, but I don't read French. How did you translate it ?

Regards,
Wayne

Wayne Grenning

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018

Wayne, It is a great page! Thanks for the heads up. Go to the following link.

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en

Paste the ULR of the web page you want translated in the line that says " Translate A Web Page" Then select the original language and the language you want it translated into. The click "translate" The beautiful thing with this is all associated links get translated when you navigate to them. It seems to work fantastic with French. German is not quite so seamless

Wayne Grenning

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018

Chip Watford

Registered

Great pic of the Alamo Shelby.Did you notice the engine is mounted backwards on the cart with the handle to the rear?Opposite of what you see today but much more practical.Easier to pull than to push into position.Thanks,Chip

Blair Goss

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

Here is a photo taken just a couple of miles from our place. The 5hp Lister with buzz saw was used to cut firewood up and down the concessions in the fall for the neighbours.

The little girl with the sleigh is now about 88 years old and sill lives on the property. My father was able to purchase the engine back in the 70's.

Attachments

Woody Sins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2021

Here is a Pohl engine and it's operators. Note the pile of firewood behind the man on the left, and the dog seeking shade under the cart beneath the water tank. Engine is almost certainly an 8 HP. This print was made directly from the glass negative.

Attachments

Woody Sins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2021

Here is a photo of a Maxwell and Fitch engine, made in Rome, NY. This is probably a 10HP engine, with 2 cylinders, 2 cycle. Note the other engine in the doorway to the left. The location of this picture in unknown, but I expect it was in front of the factory on Dominick St. in Rome. The engine looks brand new.

Attachments

Keith

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
07/18/2019

Woody, The water tank sure does shine. Wonder what the construction is?

OldironPhil

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/15/2013

I can just picture those two from the Weber engine display selling used model T s in the near future. Aah this one is a real creampuff, A little old lady only drove it on sundays, ECT

Wayne Grenning

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
06/10/2018

This is one of a great engine company display from an 1899 exposition.

The Gallery files will be back soon.

George Best

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/28/2019

I wonder if Tom's unknown shop engine is a steam engine converted to a gas engine.