• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Classified Ads NEW INFORMATION

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Previously the Enginads site was linked to Smokstak for user names and passwords. Smokstak software has now been modernized with a new supplier and will no longer provide Enginads with this service. The situation is that the software company that provided the classifieds software has closed up. The software company is no longer selling products nor are they supporting any previous products!
----------------------------------------
I am at a decision point for what I will do now. Try to fix the old unsupported system, or start up a classified ad section here on the new Smokstak system. There is a lot to this and I liked the way the old classified system worked, however, there are a number of ways to tackle this problem and here is one example.

Unfortunately, this particular package does not have a regimented form for data entry. That results in ads that are extremely short on information with poor results. Writing an ad needs the old Who, What, Where, When and Why for writing anything. Give your name, what you are selling, the price, your city and state, when the items are available, plus information that will make someone want to buy it rather than be put off and move on. The old ad board pretty much did this, mandating a correct location for one thing. Locations like the USA, or even a State are too wide an area.

Anyway, take a look at this, see what you think and let me know...
Enginads® Classified Ads from Subscribers

AKMark

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
04/02/2020
I like it, it looks pretty straightforward. I haven't done any selling on engine adds but I have bought several things.

Gene Fisher

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/22/2019
Harry, thanks for all you do for us and maybe the complainers could send money instead of complaints. I have no idea what you have done as i am not too computer savvy but what little i know i love my computer and hate it at the same time. It's not the machine but the user that is the problem.

Harry, like everyone else A BIG THANK YOU for all the work you put into the site. I don't quite understand the future of Enginads, despite your explanation, so let me ask this...

I notice a new section of classifieds at the bottom of the Stak, which is very handy. The old method of clicking back and forth worked, but it was a teensy bit inconvenient. So, will ALL the former categories of Enginads eventually be transferred to the Stak? Right now there are several missing, such as generators, etc..........so will these appear later as you get time?

Again, a huge thanks for all you do. I've pointed many a newcomer to "Harry's" anytime they show an interest in the hobby, and so far it's won several converts!

Arlie Levy

Registered
Harry, like everyone else A BIG THANK YOU for all the work you put into the site. I don't quite understand the future of Enginads, despite your explanation, so let me ask this...

I notice a new section of classifieds at the bottom of the Stak, which is very handy. The old method of clicking back and forth worked, but it was a teensy bit inconvenient. So, will ALL the former categories of Enginads eventually be transferred to the Stak? Right now there are several missing, such as generators, etc..........so will these appear later as you get time?

Again, a huge thanks for all you do. I've pointed many a newcomer to "Harry's" anytime they show an interest in the hobby, and so far it's won several converts!
Where are our engine ads? Here...
Enginads® Classified Ads

Ryan Williams

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/20/2019
Mr. Levy, they are now located on the main forum page. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/#enginads-r-classified-ads.233

I do appreciate that the pictures are much easier to view in the new ads. I would like to be able to see price and location without having to open the ad like before. But I understand that these changes are still in progress and I think Harry has been doing an amazing job managing the chaos considering the sheer complexity of trying to future proof such a vast forum as Stak. Thank you Harry!

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Somewhere, folks got the idea that classified ads should be free. They are not free in magazines, newspapers or other media. Maybe on the laundry room bulletin board, but you get what you pay for. Posting ads is limited to Subscribers. Another benefit is that Subscribers go through an extra step of confirmation and we know who they are and where they are. Registered users not so much, except that we do know which country or state they are in. Buyer and seller beware!

The classifieds are still more or less under construction and there is much more to do. Before it goes too far, we also need to decide whether to list the new ads in with the forum new posts or separate them. Forum users may not be interested in ads and classified users may not be interested in forum posts. I will be working on a way to provide a new post listing for each forum category and that should solve the problem. I could license an extra copy of Xenforo and have ads completely separate as before, but that has good and bad points for all. One man's junk can be another man's treasure, but that can get out of hand too. I think we all know the difference between good junk and crappy junk.

Deleting ads is another problem. If you sell it, change the PREFIX to SOLD and if it’s done, DELETE it. I can delete ads on a monthly basis when they are over 30 days old and sold, but that's CHOP and they are gone.

New: All ad categories are mixed For Sale or Wanted now.

Last edited:

Tom Stockton

Last Subscription Date
01/30/2020
I'm up for paying for classifieds.
If I can get past laziness & distractions,
I have some treasures to sell.
Thanx for all you do, Harry.

PrattDave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Somewhere, folks got the idea that classified ads should be free. They are not free in magazines, newspapers or other media. Maybe on the laundry room bulletin board, but you get what you pay for. Posting ads is limited to Subscribers. Another benefit is that Subscribers go through an extra step of confirmation and we know who they are and where they are. Registered users not so much, except that we do know which country or state they are in. Buyer and seller beware!

The classifieds are still more or less under construction and there is much more to do. Before it goes too far, we also need to decide whether to mingle the new ads in with the forum posts or separate them. Forum users may not be interested in ads and classified users may not be interested in forum posts. I will be working on a way to provide a new post listing for each forum category and that should solve the problem. I could license an extra copy of Xenforo and have ads totally separate as before, but that has good and bad points for all. One man's junk can be another man's treasure, but that can get out of hand too. I think we all know the difference between good junk and crappy junk.

Deleting ads is another problem. If you sell it, change the PREFIX to SOLD and if it done, DELETE it. I can delete ads on a monthly basis when they are over 30 days old and sold, but that's CHOP and they are gone.

So, rambling off, back to work.
My vote is to separate the ads from the forums. I am happy to pay as a subscriber to post an ad. Thanks for this great service.

Dave Pratt

Doug Oldenburg

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
It seems that nearly 1/2 of the people complaining aren't even subscribers or above. Just my opinion, but I think if they aren't willing to pay that few cents a day to subscribe, they shouldn't have any right to complain, or maybe even post, for that matter. Also feel should have to be at least a subscriber to post classified ads. :confused: