• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Classified Ads NEW INFORMATION

Nathan K.

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Well for me I liked the ads separate with the option to see all the ads-newest first but even better would be the ability to select which categories would be included in the group and have the selection remembered:clap: . One other thing I miss is the ability to see posters location while browsing, as it was handy to meet locals and would help with knowing distance to advertised items. Thanks Harry for keeping the site going:salute: , Nathan.

Last edited:

G Willikers

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/01/2019
The new ads forum looks good. It is easy to find and fits seamlessly with the rest of Stak. The only troubling thing might be the ability for others to reply openly to an ad. I saw one where some clown did the usual internet nastiness type of comment in the reply to some fellow's ad. Completely uncalled for.
I used the old ads a lot the last couple of years for advertising my books. It was hard to monetize the value of the ads because I was simply advertising the availability of the books through other dealers, so had no idea how many books might have sold because of the ads. I used the paypal function for $5 per ad, which I assumed was kosher because Mr. Matthews never wrote to say otherwise. Somehow, I got to be a sponsor - presumably from that?
Mr. Matthews? Going forward, how does one pay for ads?
Thank you.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
I have combined WANTED and FOR SALE items into the same ad board. I could never do that before and many folks ended up placing a wanted ad in the for sale heading. Now you can simply choose the correct prefix. Don't forget to change your prefix to SOLD or CLOSED when your transaction is finished.

Enginads® Classified Ads

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
And haters will hate. Weeks ago I offered that El Bosso will be slowly refining the site and this is one of his nifty little tweaks.

Brenda S

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
05/06/2016
The only troubling thing might be the ability for others to reply openly to an ad. I saw one where some clown did the usual internet nastiness type of comment in the reply to some fellow's ad. Completely uncalled for.
That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the new Enginads. I could just imagine someone running down an item, perhaps to even get a cheaper price for themselves or a buddy. I was never one to put my personal business out for everybody to see. I would never post in the thread that I wanted to buy something or ask how much, etc. I would send a PM or if a phone number is provided, call the seller, but a lot of people will carry on negotiations for the world to see.

I vote for keeping Enginads posts separate. If somebody was looking for help on an item, it could be easy enough to think it is for sale, not realizing there is no "For Sale" on it if they are mixed together.
Brenda S :wave:

Grape

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/16/2019
I'm on the separate voting block, and if there was a small charge, percentage of sale, I'd be OK with that...

Steve Kunz

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I agree with being a subscriber to be able to sell in the classifieds. I would like see a requirement for ads to include a price! On another form I'm on there are three requirements for posting on the classifieds:
1 - You must be a member.
2 - You must have a price.
3 - You must list the location
Otherwise the ad is subject to removal.

Just my 2 cents worth, I don't want to make more work for Harry. Maybe something to think about in the future. I think he has done a great job on the new form!! :clap:

Tom Schaech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/07/2019
Somewhere, folks got the idea that classified ads should be free. They are not free in magazines, newspapers or other media. Maybe on the laundry room bulletin board, but you get what you pay for. Posting ads is limited to Subscribers. Another benefit is that Subscribers go through an extra step of confirmation and we know who they are and where they are. Registered users not so much, except that we do know which country or state they are in. Buyer and seller beware!

The classifieds are still more or less under construction and there is much more to do. Before it goes too far, we also need to decide whether to list the new ads in with the forum posts or separate them. Forum users may not be interested in ads and classified users may not be interested in forum posts. I will be working on a way to provide a new post listing for each forum category and that should solve the problem. I could license an extra copy of Xenforo and have ads completely separate as before, but that has good and bad points for all. One man's junk can be another man's treasure, but that can get out of hand too. I think we all know the difference between good junk and crappy junk.

Deleting ads is another problem. If you sell it, change the PREFIX to SOLD and if it done, DELETE it. I can delete ads on a monthly basis when they are over 30 days old and sold, but that's CHOP and they are gone.

New: All ad categories are mixed For Sale or Wanted now.

Tom Schaech

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/07/2019
Harry...

i think it’s best to leave the decision up to you, as it’s obvious the work is on your end. We all here owe you tons of thanks for everything you have done over the years for ALL of us!!! I for one, as a long time subscriber, am happy to pay annual dues to maintain my status on both Smokstak and Englnads.

Doug Tallman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/11/2019
Personally, I like seeing the ads with the new posts. I don't understand how you can get them confused when the classifieds have tags that say for sale, ect.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t overlook that private discussion can be opened by clicking on a users name and then clicking “Start Conversation” with that user. You can invite other users to join your conversation or not. As “private” goes, nothing is guaranteed private on the internet unless it is encrypted and not even then as far as government is concerned.

I cannot tell each user about all the features on XenForo without writing a book!

Tom Herd

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/05/2020
Previously the Enginads site was linked to Smokstak for user names and passwords. Smokstak software has now been modernized with a new supplier and will no longer provide Enginads with this service. The situation is that the software company that provided the classifieds software has closed up. The software company is no longer selling products nor are they supporting any previous products!
----------------------------------------
I am at a decision point for what I will do now. Try to fix the old unsupported system, or start up a classified ad section here on the new Smokstak system. There is a lot to this and I liked the way the old classified system worked, however, there are a number of ways to tackle this problem and here is one example.

Unfortunately, this particular package does not have a regimented form for data entry. That results in ads that are extremely short on information with poor results. Writing an ad needs the old Who, What, Where, When and Why for writing anything. Give your name, what you are selling, the price, your city and state, when the items are available, plus information that will make someone want to buy it rather than be put off and move on. The old ad board pretty much did this, mandating a correct location for one thing. Locations like the USA, or even a State are too wide an area.

Anyway, take a look at this, see what you think and let me know...
Enginads® Classified Ads from Subscribers
Change for me not usually something I look forward to, as others mentioned. However, I understand the position you are in with the software providers. Guess I agree with you about the volume of content being lost in the new program. I have not spent much time trying to figure it out, but so far the pictures are really too small (most of us are older and eye sight is not what it used to be), I missed seeing seller locations on some ads, and again missed how to respond to ad. Probably there somewhere but it didn't jump out for me.
Too bad some computer college students couldn't patch up the old program.
You have done a great job and no matter how it comes out -THANKS!!

IHTLtd

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/26/2018
Question:

Where do we post Generator related items for sale?

Thanks Peter

MMayer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/07/2020
Harry I logged on tonight and there are only 8 small engine classifieds listed ? What is going to be the new policy 30 days ? Thank You

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
No, that's not the policy. The policy is for the seller to mark the ad sold when an agreement is made to sell and to delete the ad when the transaction is concluded. Remember, this is all new customized software and it's quite likely that I pressed a wrong button last night.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
The pictures are really too small (most of us are older and eyesight is not what it used to be), I missed seeing seller locations on some ads, and again missed how to respond to the ad. Probably there somewhere but it didn't jump out for me.
I'm old too and the pictures are too small for me too. I mentioned it to the developer and didn't get too far. Right now, the choice is as they are or turn them off. Seller locations can be seen by hovering over the user's name or clicking on it. Also, you will see: "Start Conversation" there to click on for communications.