• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Cleaning a Plastic Gas Tank?

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019
i have a nasty and i mean real nasty fuel tank that needs a good cleaning but its plastic. so nasty it looks like tar in the bottom! any ideas what to use? normally i would take it to the radiator shop if it were steel, but this one is some form of plastic.

Ed Radtke

Registered
Re: cleaning a plastic gas tank?

I use denatured alcohol on metal tanks.Try a spot on the outside of tank to see if it affects it.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

I have also been thinking, leave it out of the truck upside down in the sun and it may bake it to where i can take a rubber mallet to it and break it up. dont know if that will work or not.......

K-Tron

Registered

Put it in an ultrasonic cleaner without the heater on. It will be sparkling clean inside before you know it. If a cleaner is not accessible, pour some gasoline and some loose hardware, nuts, lockwashers into the tank and shake it like a morocca drum.

Chris

DustyBar

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/14/2020

... pour some gasoline and some loose hardware, nuts, lockwashers into the tank and shake it like a morocca drum...
or just strap it to the rear wheel of your garden tractor and let it turn for an hour with a length of chain and hardware inside.

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018

pour some MEK in there and let it sit. It will break the stuff up.

Monsonmotors

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/22/2020

Pressure wash the inside is what the local radiator shops (that did gas tanks) always said. You can do it at the self-serve car wash if they don’t catch you.
Just about all the radiator shops are gone, darn it.
I recently had a gunk-filled metal tank take me a month start to finish on cleaning. I had to break out the gunk with a stick. Dump out chunks. Repeat.
Yuck! One of the WORST jobs antique vehicle enthusiasts face.
No fun.

Tracy T

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/16/2019

LOL, you guys jarred some memory cells from my earlier days with your ideas! But hey thats a good thing!!:D blue, MEK, methal ethel keytone what you are talking about? we have a pressure washer on hand! fell out of the back of somebodys truck, best thing that has happened to me in a loooooong time!;)