• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Clear Coat?

R

Ron

I have something that I need to Clear coat and what it to be glossy. I am not sure if the surface that I am going to put it on is enamal or laquer. Any suggestion as to what to use?? I would also prefer to buy it in an aerosal can.

Thanks Ron

D

David M. Lyon

I have never had much luck trying to spray clear over ANYTHING that has already been painted and cured for a while, It just doesn't stay very long because it can't bind to the color coat. You can't sand the color because the sand scratches will eventually show, I would try to soften the base with some 3919s DuPont just before spraying on the clear enamel. I really recomend you experiment on another piece, or on the underside of whatever you are going to spray before you accidently ruin the finish. Usually with a basecoat/clearcoat system, you spray the clear on top of the color as a finish coat and they cure and bind together. .....Just some of my observations.... I'm afraid it's not much help!

David M.

D

DAVID M. LYON

CORRECTION !

Not 3919.....should have said 3812S enamel reducer.....Sorry about that.

David M.