Coil Question

neverfear

Subscriber
I have this coil I want to use to fire an igniter engine. What would be an appropriate voltage to use? I have 6 or 12 volt batteries.
Also, If anyone knows,what are the 2 studs on the rim?
Thanks

Attachments

Nick

Re: Coil question

I have one of these and it works perfectly fine on 6V. Always thought the two studs were to keep it from rolling around?

cobbadog

I've never seen one of these before but does 'gas light' have anything to do with the 2 studs? Spark jump between them or they make contact when mounted in a gas heater and send the spark to ignite gas?

I am just guessing though.

Kirk Taylor

I've never seen one of these before but does 'gas light' have anything to do with the 2 studs? Spark jump between them or they make contact when mounted in a gas heater and send the spark to ignite gas?

I am just guessing though.
Those coils were used to remotely ignite gas lamps. The lamps were mounted high enough on a wall or post to be out of reach. Inside of the globe was a device that worked similarly to a low tension ignitor on a gas engine. The lamp ignitor mechanism was connected to the gas valve through a rod and handle that extended down to within reach of the person tending the lamps. To light the lamp, the coil and battery were connected to the remote lamp terminals. When the handle was pulled to open the gas valve, the ignitor was simultaneously struck thus lighting the lamp.
I've seen only one coil. It made a nice fat spark but drew considerably more current than a typical gas engine coil.