• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Coleman 54 generator

Dwayne Oxford

Registered
Don't see them in forums list.
Friend scrapping Mod# 545020. Engine(B&S) bad, worked last use, he lost carb parts.
Any need for parts?

Thaumaturge

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Looking at google images of Coleman 54, looks like any engine of sufficient size (and tapered shaft) should bolt up to head. Meaning that generator head bolts up to standard engine side case, rather than having a special side case to accomodate generator head mounting.
Doc

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
While the head (compression ratio) can change the output of the generator to some extent one has to be careful not to go too high! :wave:

nblack

Registered
think it is a 8hp/4kw. Have a couple. got them really cheap. Would give $40 for the block, if it is in good shape, but that's more than I think it's worth. Think I gave between $50-$75 for the complete unit.... Not a big fan of screamers, but the old B&S has a place in my heart. :shrug:

Dwayne Oxford

Registered
Went and brought it home.
Engine's free, still see cross hatch. He took head off, piston was parked half down, some oxidation in cylinder but oiled and worked it to top.
Seeing carbs are around $35 I'm pondering getting one and trying it. Need to see linkage set up. Anyone got pics?
I see on Ebay they don't go for much and freight would be rough.

nblack

Registered
You need a medium- two piece flojet carb. Please don't buy the $17 chinese POC. Parts ARE available for the OEM carb. A $4-5 Briggs manual will tell you all you need to know for setting up the carb. IF you have any trouble after this, post.