Coles Corliss model info

stevenewonics

I recently acquired a very nice model which appears to be a Coles Corliss engine. I believe it is about 50 years old but is in excellent condition. I was hoping someone here could point me to some additional information on this model such as what year did Coles introduce this model. Is it a model of a specific Corliss engine? If not what would be the correct historic period? Also what scale is the model. It looks identical to the one on the cover of the number 22 Coles Power Models Catalog. Looks like Coles is out of business, can you still get a copy of the plans or drawings?

Case Place

Subscriber
Greetings, I may have what you are looking for. I have a complete set of original drawings with castings, inherited from my father, basic instructions for timing the engine and a 15 part construction article that ran in Live Steam magazine that started with the January/February, 1994 issue. Back in 1973, it seems the engine was referred to as the Cole-Eloda Ray Corliss Engine. Interesting ??? Shoot me a PM, if interested ???

Rustey

There is a lot of info on the internet about the Corliss Steam engine. It was built in a variety of sizes, some very large, in the order of ninety tons of casting! It's era started circa 1879. I had a lot of enjoyment building the Coles model of the engine and it runs great!
Sadly, the Coles line of models, bought out by Ken Rhodes quite a few years ago and moved from California to Warren Texas, is now out of business.

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Yes, the design was by Eloda Ray. Coles sold this kit for many years.

Yours has a builders plaque. Can you tell us who built it and perhaps post a large picture.

From what I can see, it looks nice.