• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Coles Power Models

KRhodes12

Registered
Coles is up and running despite some previous accusations and misfortune. Coles has also made changes to the company to better serve customers and we are confident that you will be more than satisfied.

Thank You,

Coles Power Models

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

MTP taps & dies are in stock

boz

Registered
You served me well last year when you sent some oilers and grease cups to me here in the U.K. Very nice they were too and they arrived in a matter of days. Good service !

gbritnell

Registered
I'm certainly glad to hear that. I have been a customer of Coles since 1969 and would hate that poor service would be it's downfall. The only thing better would be to have online ordering. Any chance of that?
Thanks,
gbritnell

dwentz

Registered
They need to work on their printed catalog. I received it yesterday and the quality is real bad. Looks like a copy of a copy of a copy. Can not believe that they charged me 8.00 plus shipping or it!

Orrin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/25/2014
Yes, it is a copy of a copy; but, catalogs are terribly expensive to produce. We're lucky that the print run from Betty Cole's time has lasted until recently.

I'll give Coles as much business as I can because I would like to see them survive and gain strength. At one time not too long ago Coles had almost been run into the ground. We can thank our lucky stars that the current owners came along and rescued the operation.

Best regards,
Orrin

metalchip

Registered
Thats good news. They seem to have a nice line of products.
I could go into a rant about the problems I had with Coles last year but I wont. Maybe its time to try them again...

Don

loggerhogger

Registered
I too am glad to hear that they are improving their service. I have been a customer since the early 90s. and have been recently concerned about customer service. It's a great company with a great produce line, and I would hate to see it go by the wayside.

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
My father and now myself have been dealing with Coles since the 1950's. We have always enjoyed our dealings with the original Cole family and now the good folks in Texas. I would not be to harsh about the catalog price. My daughter is a graphic arts designer. According to her, the cost of printing original copy and doing copy work is out of sight. So what they are charging is well within reason.
Peace and Grace,
Larry

BrianThomas

Registered
I would love to buy from you guys but to charge for a catalog? At least offer 8$ off your first puchase? I know catalogs are not cheap but charging a customer for acess to your products is just not right. If its a horrible copy to begin with, then why bother? Help us out.
Brian.

Orrin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/25/2014
It shouldn't be very difficult to scan Cole's original Catalog #26 and make it available on line.

I've done something similar. I was very fortunate to get a great deal of Van Norman literature along with my V-N #6 milling machine. To begin with, when people asked for copies I duplicated it all on paper. That got to be terribly time-consuming and expensive (at the time, I was doing it free gratis), so I made medium to high resolution scans of it and now distribute it on CD. At the resolution I used, when printed out it looks almost as good as the original documents.

Regards,
Orrin

Orrin

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/25/2014
In the course of this discussion it occurred to me that there always has been a charge for the Cole's catalog; but, I didn't bring it up until getting the facts. So, I picked some Live Steam magazines off the shelf, today, to see for sure.

On page 2 of the December 1990 issue is a greeting, "Merry Christmas from the staff of Cole's Power Models, Inc." It also says, "A note to Santa will bring Cole's comprehensive and illustrated Catalog #25 to your door! U.S., Canada & Mexico $4.00 All other countries $7.00"

Charging for catalogs makes the curiosity-seekers think twice about asking for one that will be looked at once and tossed aside; and, in the meantime subtracting from profitability.

My November/December 1993 issue features a number of ads which show charges for catalogs:

Stuart Models, $10.00
Robert Dustin Plates and Decals, $3.00
PM Research, $2.00
Don Young Publications, $6.00
Tiny Power, $5,00
Schraders Railroad, $1.00
Sound Mfg., $3.00
Wilesco, $5.00
Superpower Detail, $2.00
Cannonball, $5.00
Blue Ridge, $1.00
Campbell Tools, $1.00
Diamond Enterprises, $6.95
Allen Models, $3.00

Like I said, I'd like to see the new managers of Coles make a go of it. No other supplier carries as broad a range of products and supplies. I have no vested interest in their operation, except to say it is very convenient to find almost everything I need at one place.

Best regards,
Orrin

BrianThomas

Registered
I would pay $8 for a catalog if one of you say its worth it but if its a photo copy of a copy, then no thanks. Coles will need to try a little harder to win me over for a 8$ book with no clear pics in it describing parts.

Case Place

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/14/2019
Has anyone checked the postage for mailing the catalog in question and subtracted that from the 8$ ? Has any one subtracted the cost of the paper from the 8$ ? Has anyone taken in account the time and effort to assemble, then address and then mail the catalogs out ? The overhead alone eats away at the 8$.

If you wanted a catalog printed on glossy paper with razor sharp pictures of each individual item they had to offer, you would be in the 20 -30 $ price range. To bring that price down, the good people at Coles would have to invest into thousands of catalogs that would be sitting around for years.

After all these years of dealing with Coles, I have one very old #26 catalog that I never look at. I pretty much know what they have and give them a call. They keep their price sheet updated on the web, so I know pretty much how much the items I want will cost.

Bottom line, I am glad that the folks at Coles are not investing their hard earned money into expensive catalogs that turn into dust collectors, because that way they can keep the prices down on the important stuff like model supplies.

Merry Christmas all, Larry

dwentz

Registered
They charged my credit card shipping plus the $8.00 for the catalog! Do not get me wrong I did not have a problem with paying $8.00 for the catalog, I understand the cost of producing them adds up. I am upset with the quality of the catalog. Many of the pages you can not determine what the picture is, so its kind of hard to make a decision on the castings etc. It looks like they have a great product line, and lots of hard to find stuff. I think in this day and age they could generate much more business by putting their catalog on-line. I ran a small business for years, and our web page generated 90% of our sales, even though it was not set up for ordering directly from the web page do the the custom nature of the product.

Dale

Manorfarmdenton

Registered
I think we all need to acknowledge that producing and distributing even a basic catalogue costs what can be a prohibitive amount to a small company. I know - we do it in one part of our business. One way to cover it, of course, is to charge more for the products within. You can be sure with any company that provides a fancy catalogue f.o.c. that their products are subsidising it! Do we the customers necessarily want that? Before criticizing Coles we also need to reflect on how many catalogues we have requested over the years and not then ordered from them resulting in a dead loss to the supplier in question! I'm as guilty as the next guy of that one!

Obviously in this day and age an online catalogue is the answer, and price and product changes are immediate rather than having to wait until the next print run.
John.

KRhodes12

Registered
Hi, Thank you everyone for the compliments it truly means a great deal to us, we are trying to set up to better serve our customers an online ordering form, but we are experiencing so many obstacles that is prohibiting that at this time.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Sorry for the horrible quality of the catalogs that some of you have recieved, We have a much better quality now and think that you will be very pleased with it. Email can be sent to cmmarshall892008@gmail.com

John Davis

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
KRhodes12, Is this info still good, up to date?

Coles Power Models. www.colespowermodels.com
P.O. Box 623 Warren, TX 77664. 409-547-3400 cmmarshall892008@gmail.com
Lots of kits for hotair, steam, gas engines & model supplies. (Wall V-8, Wizzard & more).

Model Suppliers Pages
http://www.antiquengines.com/

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

gbritnell, Could it be that Coles is closed for the holidays?

sunworksco

Registered
It is ridiculous for any manufacturer or retailer to not have a very excellent online catalog with crystal-clear images of their parts. If they want lackluster sales and to spend all of their business day on the phone with confused customers, just keep up the bad catalog practice.:zz: :wave:
Hire a computer programmer and have it done. Then you don't need stinking hard copy catalog.:bonk: