• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Constructiion Disaster, Alexander Steam Show

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Our saw mill lost its roof in March from a wind storm. Being an old building, moved to our grounds 20 years ago, we determined that a complete replacement was needed. We hired a contractor, because we did not have the volunteer manpower for such a project. Yesterday while trying to straighten one leaning truss They all toppled over. Two employees were injured. Here are some pictures I took today, Aug 26 2017.

Dave Mischler

Attachments

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
Bob and others , The most seriously injured has a broken hip and ankle. The other is home from the hospital. I don't have any specifics. The president says will will be sawing, maybe with the portable mill.

Dave Mischler

b7100

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I built pole barns for 18 years. Have seen this happen nany times. People don't realize how much force even a slight breeze has on trusses when it hits at just the right angle. When settjng trusses on any building everybody wants to get them set in an hour or less and brag about it later. I have learned to take your time and add pirlins, braces and even sheeting as you go. In the end it doesn't take any more time. This advice could save a lot of injuries and possibly lives if followed

Odin

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Has there been any progress on this during the off season? I'm looking forward to this year's show, and wondering what to expect as far as sawmill operations goes.

Hopefully the weather behaves itself so that we can get the steamers on the plow this year, as I recall last year the ground was not in good enough shape for it.

Bolens 1000

Registered
If I remember right I think the newsletter I got last month said the sawmill is back up and running . Cant believe the show is just about a month away !

DaveMisch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/05/2019
I have had back problems and have not been around Alexander this Spring and Summer. I know that a competent contractor, who built the new rest rooms and showers was lined up to build the saw mill building.

I had back surgery on June 23, our 58th wedding anniversary. Am starting to feel better, but need a lot of walking and therapy to get up to par. plan is to not camp at Alexander and stay away as much as possible so as not to overdo my physical activities.
www.alexandersteamshow.com
Dave Mischler