• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

Cook / Bunk Shack

Nichols

Registered
Thought I would share a project I have been working on for the last couple months. I have wanted to build a cook/bunk shack for at the show for quite awhile. I have a summer kitchen at the show however I always wanted it to be on wheels. An oportunity to purchase a house in the club presented it's self so I jumped at it. I got a wagon gear from my dad, it needed 3 new wheel bearings, 1 hub & new tires. WOW! They don't give the tires away.

So then we swapped gears one day. Then went to mounting to new stringers, put on a class A chimney, swapped out cook stoves & built the lower 2 bunks that hAve storage under them. The idea for the bunks came from a friends wooden Great Nothern caboose. So here are some pictures to share. Can't wait to have my friends for food & a "Safety Meeting". You know who you are!

Also in near future there will be 2 upper bunks above the 2 lower that fold up against the wall. Also a table that folds in half that stores against the wall under the window between the bunks. That should make a 6 person booth for meals with a 7th as a chair on the end if needed. Maybe an ice box that I have in the shed, but we're not rushing into anything.

You will also notice in the one picture there are bowls & mason glasses setup on the framing of the bunk. My daughter who is 5 was helping me & we had to have sawdust soup. :)

Stay safe everyone,
Robert

Attachments

Nichols

Registered
Last of the pictures for now. I will add more of the upper bunk build when that happens. I sure hope I'm going about this posting correctly, I'm using my cell phone. ;)

Robert

Attachments

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Nice work, Robert! I'll be stopping in to evaluate it's menu and hospitality whenever I see it! Jason

Nichols

Registered
Here is a little more info as good as we can figure.

The car body was a smaller sized (8ft 4in wide & 16ft 8in long, 80 1/2in rafters) crew/bunk car for Kramer Construction in Plain WI. Dates to around 1920. The side wall to the right of the window end of the car had a fire from what we can tell the stove at one time. This was about a 4 man crew car for small jobs. They would have lived, slept, cooked & ate all their meals in it. I am sure it was a grat time when a necesaity. NOT!
Later years at Kramer the car was a support tool car & spare bunk space when needed.
Then a older club member at Baraboo bought it from their back lot about 50 years ago, then a couple friends bought it & then now I bought it from them. They kept the very heavy hard rubber wheel gear that was under it to use for a larger house.

Another car body exists in Sauk County & is quite larger, also has a rounded roof. Word is it was used for a 8 man crew plus foreman. The car is 10ft wide & 24ft long, slightly higher ceiling, included is an office/bunk room for the foreman about 6ft & 10ft. Ive tried in vain for about 15 years to buy this car with no luck. Oh well this is the next best thing.

The gear I put under it is a JD 1065 wagon gear, it used to have a orange wooden body Knight chopper box on it. I pulled many loads of corn silage & haylage with that one.

The car trailer really nice at 35mph, however at 40 it gets that typical farm wagon I want to hit the ditch on either side of the road weave. :O

Thank you for all the positive words & thanks. Hope to have more to add soon.

Robert

Nichols

Registered
Well, opertunity presented it's self last night. Mom & the kids went to grandma's house for a sleep over last night. I got to have a MAN night! So naturally I had to stay in the car. So I grabbed the small foam mattress from the cot & all the other needed things. I wasn't alone for long though, a couple friends named PBR had to hangout too. Oh & some cookies of course.

Then this morning at about 5am I made breakfast on the cook stove. It's been abut 5 years since I cooked on a wood range, coffee was slightly delayed but got there.

I will say it felt kinda naughty to have a cell phone with me. Really nice to hear just owls & a couple creeks & groans of the car. Almost no automobile traffic.

So here are some pictures to drool over.

Stay safe everyone & I go back to work on Wednesday.

Robert

Attachments

Nichols

Registered
I think you all will get a kick out of an interesting story about the Monarch range & how I cam to own it.

So way back in 2005 I attended a relative's family auction, they had all their antiques & they were in excellent condition. I was on the extra board at the railroad & was waiting for a 2 hour call to work. I went & got a bid number, lots of close family were there. The items on the 8 wagons! We're going really high, lots of antique buyers were there & they were spending big dollars.

So at this point I decided to hold out till the cook stove & would spend my allotment of $250 on it if it came to that, however I also wanted to buy the safe too. We'll the time came to go into the summer kitchen (big heavy stove no move) & I was right on the heals of Mr Gavin. I heard folks filling in behind me & was thinking "holy cow, I will never get it" a lot of people were talking it was going for $2,500 because it was so nice. :(

So just before the auctioneer started he was laughing (why the heck is this guy laughing) so he started at $500, laughing $250 laughing, $100, $50 & then looked at me & said give me a bid.

I said $5, 10 seconds later, SOLD for $5 & I turned around to see. Terry Wheler married to Jessica (Hasheider, cousin), Merle (great uncle) & son Kevin Hasheider, Justin Hasheider (cousin), Josh Hasheider (cousin), John Hasheider (cousin) & Phil Hasheider (uncle) blocking the door way. SO THAT'S WHAT WAS SO FUNNY! No ome else followed because so many bidders went in, sneaky.

As I walked out a bunch folks asked "who bought the cook stove?" I said I did for $5, that was the talk of the group. Funny how things happen when your not in on the rouse. The sisters were happy I got it, because I was going to actually use it.

Shortly after I got the call to work & left my blank check & bid number with my cousin John to bid on the safe for me, which I got for $170. Gains laughed at the end of the auction & said the smallest bidder bought the 2 heaviest items.

As Paul Harvey would say, And thats the rest of the story.

Robert Hasheider

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
Not meaning to highjack,but Somewhere in my stuff,i have some pictures of a similar wagon that was a bunk house for the bridge building and maintance crew for the state hwy commision.It is or at least was in 2003 or so,in Silva NC in the back of the DOT yard.It looked very heavy built.solid rubber tires,had the wood stove chimney similar to your setup.
The fellow that knew a bit about it said it was pulled by surplus Liberty trucks after ww1 in the mountians with 3 similar wagons hauling the timbers,supplies and what not.

Nichols

Registered
Not meaning to highjack,but Somewhere in my stuff,i have some pictures of a similar wagon that was a bunk house for the bridge building and maintance crew for the state hwy commision.It is or at least was in 2003 or so,in Silva NC in the back of the DOT yard.It looked very heavy built.solid rubber tires,had the wood stove chimney similar to your setup.
The fellow that knew a bit about it said it was pulled by surplus Liberty trucks after ww1 in the mountians with 3 similar wagons hauling the timbers,supplies and what not.
Feel free to post what ever you think is related, would be happy to see those pictures.

Dave R 1

Registered
Looks really nice! Not to be a downer but, it would really concern me to have a wood burning stove between me and the only quick exit if I were staying the night. Keep a couple fire extinguishers close to the bunk end!

Nichols

Registered
Hope everyone is staying SAFE!
Been a while since I got to work on the car, darn work & chores on the farm are using up all the play time. So I added a platform off the end to make it easier to get in & out while carrying stuff.

It's 3 feet deep & 8 feet wide. Have to add a angle brace on both sides to help support, add a railing & mount the steps with hinges yet. Had to use up some old boards from storage to conserve funds thus time around, but sometimes you can buy the best & make do with what you got.

Stay cool, it's HOT & HUMID,
ROBERT

Attachments

Kickstand55

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2020
NICE! I Like it! Kind of like the mini houses being built in modern times for Veterans.
Where's the Loo? Remember the cabooses with the brass $4!t shoot?