• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Cool Kohler

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015
Hundred bucks takes it. It has your name on it and it's not too far. Only about three hours on the 5 to get there!
I imagine it doesn't have the remote panel.

BTPost

Staff member
Last Subscription Date
12/29/2008
What makes you think it is a Kohler? Looks a lot like an Onan CK to my eyes....

Birken Vogt

Email NOT Working
It is a Kohler. The color, enclosure, and generator end are all classic Kohler. They had a flat twin engine also.

gnucklehead

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Definitely a Kohler - It says K482EP as the model (in the section near the map), which is the 48ci engine.. close to CCK-sized, probably +/-4.5kW.. I have a binder of literature for some of the kohler twins.. They made some big-uns, K662 for one.

LWB250

Registered
4.5CKM most likely, using a K-482 two cylinder engine and a rotating armature alternator with a slope front relay controller.

Nearly as bulletproof as the 7.5R L654 powered units, but probably weighs more. These things were beasts. There was also a K-662 powered version that put out 6.5kW, every watt of it.

Dan

Zephyr7

Registered
It is a Kohler. The color, enclosure, and generator end are all classic Kohler. They had a flat twin engine also.
I saw that classic old Kohler blue and thought the same thing. That old blue, the gold (not sure what they were thinking with the gold), and the newer tan are all pretty distinctive Kohler colors. Onan was pretty consistent with their onan green throughout the years, except for some white marine stuff.

I think it’s only the really old early 1900s stuff where Kohler didn’t use such distinctive colors.

Bill

LWB250

Registered
I saw that classic old Kohler blue and thought the same thing. That old blue, the gold (not sure what they were thinking with the gold), and the newer tan are all pretty distinctive Kohler colors. Onan was pretty consistent with their onan green throughout the years, except for some white marine stuff.

I think it’s only the really old early 1900s stuff where Kohler didn’t use such distinctive colors.

Bill
Kohler used a "machine gray" in the early years before they went to the dark blue in the 1940s. The dark blue remained until the mid 1980s when the Fast Response design came into existence and the gold metal flake finish was introduced. During that time Kohler set up an "E-coat" finish line where parts were primered with an electrical process developed by Ford for their raw sheet metal parts. In the early 90s the beige color was introduced and continues in some form today, I believe.

The early gold was a nightmare. E-coat was a response to the massive paint failures that occurred on large metal parts like housing doors with both black and gold paints.

Here's a trivia question:

Was any color other than blue ever used on a rotating armature model? (I'm excluding marine sets, as the white finish on them was a salt resistant Coast Guard requirement.)

Dan

G Sams

Registered
Here's a trivia question:

Was any color other than blue ever used on a rotating armature model? (I'm excluding marine sets, as the white finish on them was a salt resistant Coast Guard requirement.)

Dan
I'm far from the expert you are but I'd say no.

LWB250

Registered
I'm far from the expert you are but I'd say no.
Yes, there were.

In the early 1980s as the transition to Fast-Response and the gold/black color scheme was under way, there were a number of rotating armature sets in the lower range (below 15kW) that were still in production, as this predated the development of the ill-fated "R-Series" generators (my opinion).

These were painted the new gold color but did not get the black trim on sheet metal panels or trim. I don't recall exactly what models there were, but I do recall there were some Perkins and Murphy powered diesel sets that were produced. There were also L654 powered RV sets made for Bluebird Coach that were tray mounted with an offset radiator using an electrically driven cooling fan that were painted gold as well.

Dan

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I've seen gold ones and even the later tan ones. There's at least one of each on my local CL right now. Also a red one, but I assume that was a Krylon Overhaul... Then there was what ever came before blue... Blue and before is my only interest...

These will all disappear, as the original ad in this thread already has, but here are three different colors, all 4 kW, single cylinder, 1800 rpm, revolving armature. On closer inspection, the red one really does look like an original paint job as well...

Gold one... 3500 watt
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/tls/d/moreno-valley-kohler-14hp-3500-watt/6877796466.html

Tan one. "Better than Onan". :D :O
https://ventura.craigslist.org/tls/d/ventura-kohler-gen-set/6875534421.html

Red one...
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/for/d/4-kw-rv-generator/6891749129.html

Last edited:

LWB250

Registered
The gold color was used all the way down to the portable lines and included RV models as well.

The beige unit is an RV model, which were beige starting in the late 80s.

The red unit was probably a contract sale. Kohler dabbled in direct sales for companies like Ford and John Deere in the mid to late 1980s, believe it or not, and for those units they would pretty much paint them whatever color the buyer wanted. I think we also did some for some national rental chains, too. These were typically pretty small volume runs using stock designs that would just be nameplated and painted differently to differentiate them from actual Kohler product.

Anything to get production volume up, especially on the small stuff.

Dan