• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Coolspring: Ohio Engine Trivia

Preston Foster

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2010
I only know of 4 horizontal Engines Built in Ohio that have a 3 bearing main frame. Three were identified: Elyria Gas Engine, built in Elyria, The Gearless Gas Engine, built in Springfield, The Hicks Gas Engine, built in Cleveland. The Todd Engine, built in Youngstown is the one that was missed. I saw pictures and some blueprints in the corporate offices of Wean Machine in about 1979. Wean was in the line of successors of Todd Manufacturing Co. Some of the old Todd buildings still stand.

The new TRIVIA question. Let's develop a list of horizontal engines built in Ohio that have a side shaft. I have heard it said that Ohio had more engine builders that used side shafts than any other state. I am not willing to make this claim but may be after you out there in engine land help me develop a list we can put out a challenge for another state to come up with a longer list.
Keep in mind we are looking for builders and not engines sold using a different name.

I will start the list out by saying FOOS. Please see the picture of a 100 HP Foos twin taken from a Foos export catalog from 1898-9 to a selling agent in Rotterdam, Holland. The lay shaft ran between the cylinders and operated the governor and igniters.

Attachments

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Re: Coolspring:Ohio Engine Trivia

This list will get LONG Preston. There were a bunch of Ohio built SS engines. I'll name just a few and others can add many more (I'm naming the manufacturers, not the individual engines as some manufacturers made multiple makes such as the Springfielf making a Type A and a Type B):

Ohio (Sandusky)
Miami
Springfield
Callahan
Shawd
Elyria
Columbus

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
Re: Coolspring:Ohio Engine Trivia

Brown - Cochran Co. in Lorian, Ohio

Middletown Machine Co. in Middletown Ohio

The Ohio Gas, Gasoline and oil Engines were of a sideshaft design built by Smedly Steam Pump Co. in Sandusky, Ohio

I want to say that the Miller Improved Gas Engine Co. made a sideshaft engine, but I am noy 100 % positive on this one, they were in Springfield, Ohio

Another one I am not 100% on are the Kenton Gas Engine Company in Kenton, Ohio

The Shawd Gas Engine Company in Springfield, Ohio

W.P. Callahan in Dayton, Ohio

Bauroth Bros. in Springfield, Ohio

Columbus Machine Co. in Columbus Ohio

Elyria Gas Engine Company in Elyria, Ohio

EDIT: Guess I am a slow typer, sorry for the repeats of some Tommy posted Preston

Last edited:

BuckeyeMan

Registered
I'm going to stay back on this one for a little bit, and give you others a chance.......But yes the Miller was a side shaft, and so far thats 12 keep going theres lots more........DH

Ps. no looking at the big yellow book....

Don Selmer

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
Preston, Thanks for the picture of my DREAM FOOS engine.

How about the FOOS sideshaft made by the Scientific Foos Co.

NAR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2019
Since I'm from Ohio, I better add some.

Sandusky Foundry, (Sandusky, O.),
Hicks, (Cleveland),
Watkins, (Cinci),
Star, (New Lexington).

Attachments

NAR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2019
Were some Hamilton (Advance Mfg) engines built in Ohio?
see pic

Also why was the list only horizontals?

-Nick

Attachments

Mike Monnier

Hoarder
Last Subscription Date
12/18/2019
Darn it Nick, I didn't think anyone would think of the Watkins. Here's a couple for the list:

Swan
Lima
Brown - could be covered under Columbus, but I'm told there is a difference in the two.

BuckeyeMan

Registered
Ok, thats 26, I can think of 5 more... and you are right Mike... Brown was in Columbus up untill 1901 and the engine is a little different then the one that he and Cochran made in Lorian,Oh.

Last edited:

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
DH, thanks for the info on the Miller, good to know I was correct thinking it was a sideshaft.

I have small adverts for a couple more RARE engines that I am unsure if it was a sideshaft design, or just a strange style with a lot of monkey motion on the pushrod?? Hard to tell in the small newsprint pictures.

The VanDuzen Gas and Gasoline Engine Co. in Cincinnati, Ohio

Or

The Knight Mfg. Co. in Canton, Ohio

BuckeyeMan

Registered
There where 2 different styles of Van Duzen engine (3 if you count the upright) and they did not have a side shaft, and for the Knight Mfg. I have never got to see one of those, even in a Photo...If you have one, can you post it on here.....Thanks DH

NAR

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/09/2019
I forgot to write the Swans, darn it Mike!

Also forgot to put the twin Benninghoffin, (Hamilton, Ohio)

Mt. Vernon, Ohio made some big engines & what about the Todd engine mentioned above?

I'm not sure on the Kenton's Chris. My dad has seen an inverted one but I've never seen a clear pic of the horizontals.

-Nick

Chris J

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2012
DH, Thanks for the info on the Van Duzen. I was not aware of the 2 horizontal styles, or the fact that they made a vertical.

As for the Knight, the picture is very crude on it, havent been able to get a good scan of an 1890's newspaper with a picture less than 1 inch tall, its very blurry, but will play around with some photo software to see if I can clean it up some to post.

Nick, The pictures I have of the Horizontal Kenton's are also too blury to make out the workings on it as to whether it is sideshaft or just a pushrod engines. I never have seen an inverted one, that would be interesting!

Thanks! And thanks for the Great Thread, Am learning a lot now!

John Merry

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2020
Nar---Kenton engine--"My dad has seen an inverted one" I have always wondered if any Kenton engines exist. If there is a surviving inverted Kenton engine I am sure we would all like to see it! I saw an early add somewhere on large horizontal Kenton engine and it did not look like a sideshaft design.

Preston Foster

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2010
Dave, it is time to jump in and ad to the list. Less keep the thread near the top of the page.

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 AM ----------

Todd is one that I had on my list. They made very large double acting engines similar to the Snow.