• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Cooper Bessemer GX3A air start plant.

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Picked this oil field barn find up a few days back. It's complete sans a few pipe fittings. The heavy iron tank has 6 stay bolts side to side and 5 top to bottom. The engine turns over. We have started to disassemble the engine, finding it to be in quite good shape. It hasn't run since the mid 1950s. It has been stored inside but years of weather changes have taken their toll on the paint. The Edison magneto is dead. Capacitor is shot. Coil probably isn't far behind. I have read these engines used Ford model A internals. Can anyone help me with an interchange for the mag? Are there any operations and parts manuals for these?

Attachments

W.P.Klein

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/19/2020
Hi Brian. Nice that it even has the water pump. I had to buy 3 before I got one with a pump. I will peruse my "library" and see what info I have. Shouldn't be to hard to find a mag to fit up as many machines used the base mount with a drive coupling. I guess space restriction my be an issue though. Feel free to e mail me a reminder to check my info. Bill Klein

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Hi Bill, That tank is close to what I have. Mine is designed a bit different on the top. My tank has a rolled edge top. It is similar to some types of beer kegs. I've had the engine running. It was a lil bit of a battle but it runs! thank you for the scans detailing the GX3A. -Brian

Lester Bowman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
I really enjoyed this video. I like to see other guys suffer like I do :) Come on honey! I liked that too.

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I would like to find out when this old bugger was built. Does Cooper Bessemer or a successor company have production, performance or shipping records for these units? The engine serial number on this is #2170. It has an Edison Splitdorf mag. Carb is Zenith model B as used on '28 - '31 Ford model A.