• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Cooper SF Shearing Plant.

Clapper

Registered
Hi
Just been given this Cooper SF Shearing Plant. The RV engine is quite different to The other two RVs that I have, one and most noticeable are the straight fins on the head, the other two have curved fins. Also cant find an engine number stamped on the block, the other two have the number stamped just above the oil filler, 522324 and 476788. I understand that the first two numbers are build year. The only ID on the one I got today is on the tag on the cowling it reads SER No RV 48X8254. Do I take it that this engine is 1948 build, also could there be another number stamped on the block somewhere. Thanks in anticipation.

Cheers

Ian

Attachments

Clapper

Registered
Hi Scotty
Thanks for the info, the other thing I noticed, the curved fin engine have a flange for mounting a kick start, the straight fin engine does not

Cheers

Ian

Scotty 2

Registered
the other thing I noticed, the curved fin engine have a flange for mounting a kick start, the straight fin engine does not
Hello Ian.
Yeah, they had more variations then anyone could document.
Still, a nice little engine on a very nice shearing plant.
Does that muffler make much difference to the noise levels?
For some reason I keep thinking the serial number could also be stamped above the breather. That's another difference they had. Different breathers.

Is that your man cave in the back ground?

It must of been the Cooper week last few weeks. There's been one sitting in the back of the ute waiting for me to get motivated to get it out and get it going for about 3 weeks. I know it has no spark at the moment. It's a pedal start so no cranking for this broken down old fart. 😉

Cheers Scott

Clapper

Registered
Hi Scotty
Yes that is the new man cave, starting to fill it now. I have not had it running yet, could be tomorrow. Only one of the curved fin engines has a cowling, the number on the tag matches the number on the block, so I'm happy to assume that this engine is a 1948 as long as that is the original cowling. Both engines with tags are stamped 1 hp.

Cheers

Ian

Eric Schulz

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/02/2009
Some Cooper info. The first air cooled Cooper, introduced in 1942, was the 5/8hp JM. It was a direct copy of the Johnson that they previously sold. It had straight cylinder head fins. All models after that had curved fins.

Ian’s engine is not all original. Straight fins and an RV cooling shroud don’t belong together. All models used the same head gasket, so heads must have been interchangeable.

I don’t have a definite date for the first RV, but they go back to at least 1946.

Eric

Clapper

Registered
Hi Eric

I have one RV that is for spares, so I could swap the heads around, also is that breather cap original if is not I can swap that around as well.

Cheers

Ian