Corvair outboard conversion in the 1960's.

EvilDr235

Years ago I saw a ad in a magazine about converting a air cooled Corvair engine to a outboard engine lower half. The man who was doing the conversion was named Wayne Horning. He was well known for making hot rod engine parts for inline six Chevy and GMC engines starting in the late 1940's. There was a picture with the ad showing the Corvair / outboard conversion. Later on he made parts for the aerospace industry in Southern California. I often wondered if any of the conversions were ever build and sold and did any survive ? A lot of his hot rod speed parts are being reproduced for six cylinder race fans.

Last edited:

Vanman

Subscriber
I remember seeing a photo of one of these outboard Corvairs in the “How to Hot rod Corvair Engines” book. What a Great book! The engine was mounted vertically, and since it was up in the airflow, had no fan or shrouds on it. Looked neat!

Keith

EvilDr235

The Corvair article shows the engine mounted flat like in the car. I guess Mr. Horning figured out they might work better that way. I had the book on How To Hotrod Corvair Engines years ago, but sold it on eBay. I got $60.00 plus shipping for it. I was shocked it went for so much. The picture I saw had the engine mounted vertically. Thank you both for your replies. When I was doing a search about the engines being used in boats, I found lots of articles on the engines being used in airplanes. No thank you. The bi-plane with a model A Ford engine in it was scary enough. That was in a place in Saint Helena California about 40 years ago.

Vanman

Subscriber
If I put one in an aircraft, I’d use a separate bearing for the prop, so those forces are not transmitted to the crank. I always thought twin Corvairs would be cool. :D

I read about a guy cruising at something like 18,000 feet, on oxygen, running about 140 mph and getting 40 mpg in his Corvair powered plane!

walter chute

There was two of these boats at the Buffalo boat show on Grand Island N.Y. this year and he pulled them with a corvair station wagon.Saturday September 7 Niagara Frontier Chapter ACBS