• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Could use some help

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Im working on a Ditch Witch m422 with this style of clutch that wont disengage even when the handle is snapped out but is still engaged
My question is how to get the clutch discs out to look at the clutch. Looks like the steel key has to come out so the clutch will come out but cant get the key to come out The key acts like its stuck or froze in place
Here are pics of what Im dealing with
Any help would be GREAT
Charlie

Attachments

uglyblue66

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/07/2018
The key appears to be a half moon key. In the center it is deep.But the edges are shallow. Use a punch and a hammer and set the punch on 1 end or the other of the key and bump straight down,perhaps after some soaking with whatever penetrant you have around. Bumping 1 end of the key like this will seesaw it up on the oppisite side.. Do this to both sides and it should get it loose by the seesawing action.
I don't mean 10 pound hammer, just a light hammer and punch.

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
Some times if you an catch the end if it with a chisel you can get it to start to lift out by driving it up at a angle. If you do what ugly says to the back of the key it might drive it up the other end some more and you can get a better bite on it.

Heins

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/02/2020
I think you would have better luck with a chisel on the end and hit it with a big hammer. You may damage the key a little but you can fix it or get another key.

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
I used a small punch and bout a 2 lb hammer I put the punch on the end of the key then same as just dropped the hammer on the punch a time or two then did the same to the other end of the key
I sprayed some good penetration oil round the key
Then used a small chisel and bout a 2 lbs hammer at the out side of the key to try to get the key to lift upward till I could get a hold of key to take it off the shaft

Fred Van Hook

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
11/05/2019
That is called a woodruff key but most people call it a half moon key obviously because of the shape.. Glad you were able to get it out. Keep us posted on what you find out about the clutch...

CharlieHasaHarley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2019
Dont think anything is wrong with the clutch just a little wore
Dont know but think the clutch discs had lot of oil on the discs - so the disc was stuck together from to much oil
The adjustment ring was adjusted all the way in - I had to use a small punch in the adjustment holes to back the adjustment ring off to the left till I could unscrew the ring by hand
One pic from the first post shows the clutch discs all together After I got the clutch discs out I had to slide each disc from the other discs
Wont begin to put back together till I talk to the owner about the bearings and races cause the races are dont look to good to me
Posted a pic of the inside race in inner pto housing
To me the race has seen better days.
Charlie

Attachments