• The old site search from Google needs to be updated. Use the Search at the Upper Right, or use What's New in the center - it has a drop down arrow. You will need to change your Favorits by right click mouse and clicking favorites. Many of the posts in How to Use This Web Site are old so the links may or may not work. I have one hell of a lot of work to do!

Craig is Asking "What Should I Do?"

Which Do You Prefer?

• Break them up

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • Single download but large file

Votes: 28 65.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Craig A

Staff member
I got a package from Bud Tierney in which there are 54 pages of terrific information about Waukesha ROI line engines... everything from irrigation to fire truck engines.
Bud sent these to me so they can be made available to anyone who wants the information and I told Bud I would happy to scan them and upload everything to Harry's server at flywheelers.com.
There are a number of 4-page bulletins and a few single sheet (2 page) sheets.
It would be easiest for ME to scan everything into a single pdf but in order to make a pdf large enough to be useful, ie blow up images, fine print and diagrams, the total size would be around 23 megs.
I'm sure almost every user here CAN get access to a computer with high-speed internet. I can't imagine a public library anywhere, anymore, including your local school, who doesn't have or wouldn't give you access.
I converted a single page from a 425 kb document to a 377 kb document just so you can see what happens. Even that small reduction takes its toll on the quality at higher zoom levels.
I also attached the same page as a jpg so you see can WHAT it is before opening the pdf.
I suspect this might have fairly narrow appeal but please vote the poll... :) (The poll is PRIVATE so NOBODY will know how you voted.......N O B O D Y)

Attachments

K-Tron

Craig,
What are you using as a compressor?

If you want, you can email me all of the original scans, and I can compile them in Adobe InDesign, and create a single PDF out of them.

bigdogtrucker@gmail.com

Chris

Power

Hi, Craig I am trying to figure this out.
file0001 jpg has sharp print and clear irrigation rows - 124kb
File 0001test which is in PFD is blurry, yet it takes 3 times the space.

oldproff

I can handle the large down load but I agree that a lot of people might not be able to. so for everyones benifit I say break it up. Bill k

OTTO-Sawyer

Subscriber
With my Stupidly Slow Dial up, it took 3 minutes 15 seconds to open the pdf versus about a minute to open the jpg version.... But as Craig said, I can always go to the Library if I need to.

I'm glad K-Tron asked about the compression, though I can't really offer any help there, and I can guarantee Craig knows more about computers than I ever will, but using the Nero PhotoSnap editing software that came installed in my last 2 computers I can crop something down to a quarter it's original size dropping a picture from 2.85MB to a mere 249KB and still be able to Zoom in up to 400% or more with a fairly clear image.

I'm not sure until I go through the motions of doing it, how much more a picture gets compressed uploading on here, but here's a shot of the Waukesha engine tag on my Buffalo Springfield Road Roller. I cropped it & dropped from 3.14MB to 336KB before uploading. It is a little blurry, but I think part of that was my shaky hands when taking the picture to start with.

Anything in those books to go with my engine ? It's a Model 6BK283 (looks like it uploaded at 171KB)

Attachments

Marc P

I don't know much about compooters but if you are giving it for free, I suggest you do it as easy on you as you can. I, and many others couldn't get it before so it isn't missed anyhow.

Just my thought.

mrxlh

Break them up. Would you take the quick and easy way out to get an engine running, or do th e right way, one time?

Hi, Craig I am trying to figure this out.
file0001 jpg has sharp print and clear irrigation rows - 124kb
File 0001test which is in PFD is blurry, yet it takes 3 times the space.
It's the same for me! The PFD is is not good. I have a DSL phone connection and either one comes through in seconds. Ron

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Using InDesign is probably the best choice if the person offering is confident with the program and output settings. They may still need to break it into 2 chunks. 10-12MB is about the most anyone wants to download at once. I do not recommend importing things into WORD anymore because in the newest version, even if you select "press quality" for the pdf output, your images are already compressed by WORD's new default settings. You have to reset these for each document BEFORE inserting images. You can also generate decent high resolution pdf's using POWERPOINT.

-- daughter Debbie http://www.plumemoth.com/author.html

Craig A

Staff member
I forgot about this thread....... :eek:
When I get around to this I guess I'll stick with the pdf format and break up the book into 10 meg segments......something like that....... :)
Not everyone has Microsoft Office but anyone can open a pdf with Adobe or Foxit....... :brows:

dkamp

eMail NOT Working
I scan everything I get my paws on into a high-res PDF, and park them on my own file servers. That being said, I started doing this over a decade ago... before there was 'high speed'... when someone needed a copy, I'd just burn 'em a CD and drop it in the mail. Eventually I set up FTP server on one machine, and used that to make stuff available, but there was always some hacker somewhere that wanted to mess with it, so I made my FTP server a 'boot from CD', and the volumes were a stack of CDs, so they could try to beat on it, but nothing would 'write', so about the only thing they COULD do, is try a Denial Of Service attack on it. When I sold that house and moved, I didn't have good broadband, and had many other more pressing concerns so never put that one back on the air, but still have all the files, so I guess I could.

The HAM radio community has a repository for manuals for old radio and electronic equipment... it's called BAMA... Boat Anchor Manual Archive. I don't recall who runs it, but it's a nice interface, and when you send a document, they store and post a download link, which is very nice...

And I have a half-dozen Waukesha service manuals (for the bigger (over 1000ci) engines that I could scan, but haven't YET. When I do, I'd like a nice place to make them available for download to anyone who'd like a copy.

Harry

Administrator
Staff member
Post them right here on this board. You can put 6 attachments on a post or more if I merge them. Whether Flywheelers or Smokstak, it's still the same HARD DRIVES, fortunately, they are solid state drives. If you break the files up, then readers only download what they need.

Check out this page: https://plumemoth.com/author.html
An 8.5 Meg pdf loads in three seconds on FIOS.