• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Craigslist find bing steam engine

stevenkd5017

Registered
Picked this up this morning from a craigslist ad. It appears to be in excellent condition no dents, the whistle and safety valve weight are there. the only issue is it is missing the sight glass and fittings. I’m trying to find the model number, the closest I can find is a 130/301, but the picture I found of that model did not have the drain valve on the front of the boiler. Based on the logo it was made between 1908 and 1925. I know I can by fittings for the sight glass I was wondering what the correct diameter sight glass would be for this engine.

Attachments

Brent Rowell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2020
This requires glass tubing bent in a jig to a "U" shape. The correct diameter would be the largest size tubing you can fit into the existing boiler holes. Other fittings (missing on yours) compress gaskets (or o-rings nowadays) onto the glass and boiler to seal. As far as I'm aware the proper fittings are not available and you'd need to make them.

stevenkd5017

Registered
This requires glass tubing bent in a jig to a "U" shape. The correct diameter would be the largest size tubing you can fit into the existing boiler holes. Other fittings (missing on yours) compress gaskets (or o-rings nowadays) onto the glass and boiler to seal. As far as I'm aware the proper fittings are not available and you'd need to make them.
now I get it. thank you for this information. If i can’t find a glass blower I may just get some fittings and put a straight glass in for now.

actually I just watched a few videos on how to bend glass tube I think with a little practice I could do it.

Last edited:

Brent Rowell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2020
now I get it. thank you for this information. If i can’t find a glass blower I may just get some fittings and put a straight glass in for now.

actually I just watched a few videos on how to bend glass tube I think with a little practice I could do it.
Bending glass tubing is easy with even a litte alcohol lamp. The trick is making a jig so the centers of the arms of the "U" are a perfect match with your two boiler holes--otherwise the glass will break every time. Just keep practicing; no need for a glass blower.