• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Crane Truck- OD trans help

moparguy

Registered
Im putting a old swinging wrecker-crane boom on a old mack. A B81, powered by soon to be turbo charged 673 its got a dual overdive quad box (going to double check) and 824 rears with 11.00 R 24 tires. (as far as i know even with the tall 24 tires its still going to be a slow truck) But the 11.00 R 24 inch rubber is getting hard to get so i might have to change the hubs and go to 11.00 R 24.5 or 12.00 R 24.5 tires. They are a smaller tire and will lower my road speed further.

What im looking for is a Dual range overdrive or a auxiliary trans that starts out at 1 to 1 and ends up with a .60 to 1 (or in that ball park). So it would be a 3 speed trans a 2 speed would be better but not sure they make something for this large of a application with that big of a jump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pete Nichols

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/06/2011
What about using a 13 speed overdrive , switch the 2 high gears around and make it a double overdrive .

We had a truck with 13 OD that would only run 58 mph , after turning the 2 gears around it would do 75 !!!!

Last edited:

moparguy

Registered
Not a bad idea, I would like to keep the factory Mack trans and just add a overdrive. But email the info Mabe I'll do this instead.
Thanks Paul

BobRR

Registered
I dont know if this is any help but We had a 64 ford T850 that had a 5 speed main and 3speed aux. that was underdrive,drive and O.D. I think it was a spicer but dont remember for sure. Bob