• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Cretors Popcorn in the wild

Demoman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2014
I found this cretors popcorn machine the same place where we got the Minnesota giant carcuss. We walked through a wooded area behind the barn to a scrap pile to look for steam parts. From a distance it looked like an old wood cook stove so I ignored it. Getting closer I could not believe what I saw in the brush! The owner said his dad traded for this to get the engine and rolled the cart out back. Too bad he didn't have the engine. Then he said "I have the engine at home up above in the shop". His dad was making the engine to resemble a case 65 engine and had fabricated a rod and flywheel and crank to look like it. That was all he wanted it for. We made a deal on it all and did the best we could to get it out with a skid loader. It had a giant rats nest that filled it. When I cleaned it out the handle and pop off valve were in the bottom. It is a little rough but maybe there are some wheels and other parts out there. If nothing else it was a great find and neat to look at

Attachments

cyberbadger

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
Very Nice find.

I've seen Cretors steam engines (not the boiler or full chassis - just the engine). I've seen videos about movie theaters and how Cretors brought popcorn to movie theaters. I also worked at a modern movie theatre in highschool.

So the engine rotated the pan or agitator to prevent burning of the popcorn kernels?

Was steam from the boiler used to heat the pan as well?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cretors#1880s_through_1890s

-CB

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Wow, what a great find. Would love to see this as a project on the TV series American Restoration.

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
You probably could buy a new machine for what they would charge to restore toe original!
Andrew

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
You probably could buy a new machine for what they would charge to restore it to original!
Andrew
True, but I like watching them tear things apart and put it back togther like new. I think an interesting project like this would make it on the air. They've done a popcorn machine before, but never one this old and powered by a steam engine. Anyone have a picture of this model from a catalog?

David

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/27/2019
Anyone have a picture of this model from a catalog?
Here is a picture of a restored wagon like the one found in the wild. Also, a link and pictures about restoring a Cretors engine, and a picture of an original boiler.

http://www.cedesign.net/steam/cretors-d.htm

If the serial number plate is still with the engine, Cretors has all the records, and can tell you where it was sold to originally.

There is an outfit in Kansas that restores these machines and offers parts, but they aren't cheap.

David

Attachments

LAKnox

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/15/2016
A few years ago, I believe an all-original, restored Cretor's cart sold for somewhere north of $100,000, so it's an eminently desireable project.

Lyle

Demoman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/13/2014
David - The nice picture you attached is close but mine has the galvanized canopy over the top of the engine. There is a photo of it on the ground. There was a little wool frame left and some hinges still attached where the popper was. I can't imagine a collector not seeing any value to this even in the 70's but I was told he rolled it out back and that was it

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I've got an 1940 Cretors A1 wagon. Love the tasty popcorn it makes. I have done peanuts in it and they were 1st class. Mine runs the corn pan and peanut roaster with the steam engine. Gas fire is the cooker for both. I've got pix of it around here somewhere.

Bill Hudson

Registered
Hi,

I am new at this site so hope I do the photo attachment right.

I believe this is the same model as in the wild or at least near to it.

I have many more pictures of various parts of this cart.

I am building a model of a 1910 Cretors horse drawn popcorn wagon.

Bill

Attachments

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019
pretty early in the year to have the find of the year, demoman!! sweet! bet the popcorn will be even sweeter. congrats.

K.O'Connell

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I was wondering what the U-shaped metal device was and discovered from a picture on Model Engine Maker, that it is a towing handle.

Attachments