• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Crocker wheeler motor

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
Hi All, I just picked up an old Leroi engine and someones cobbled up attached generator which is a 1920s ??? electric motor. it has open brushes on 1 end and the opposite bell is mostly open. it is 2 1/2 hp. I suspect they were making Dc with it for lights. my question is does anyone collect 1920s motors or is this thing 175 lbs of scrap.thanks Rob

Jim Rankin

Registered
NO it's not scrap! May not be worth much, but not scrap. Put up pictures please. There's usually someone looking for a generator to go with an old flywheel engine etc. That's not one of my interests personally, but I'm sure someone will be interested. There is a classified section here and I believe you may be able to post under other headings of classified notices here on the Stak.

Mike Cushway

Registered
Hi All, I just picked up an old Leroi engine and someones cobbled up attached generator which is a 1920s ??? electric motor. it has open brushes on 1 end and the opposite bell is mostly open. it is 2 1/2 hp. I suspect they were making Dc with it for lights. my question is does anyone collect 1920s motors or is this thing 175 lbs of scrap.thanks Rob
Rob,

I picked up(curbside trash day) an old early teens, 1/2hp, open frame, Century motor that just for kicks, I put on e-bay. A guy from Australia bought it for about $50 and paid $150 to ship! He had been looking for this exact motor for years to complete some restoration. I shudder at the loss/thought of the dumpster loads of "scrap" that I have junked over the years. I will guarentee you that someone on this list/or e-bay will want that motor. Both my garages PROVE that I don't throw anything anymore.