• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Crosby Steam Gauge identification help.

tagish

Registered
I picked up this steam gauge as a collectible. The Stilwell-Bierce & Smith-Vaile Co. operated under that name between 1892 & 1904. I'm just wondering if anyone would know where this gauge would have been used? And if the face plate would have been originally silvered?

Attachments

Last edited:

Ashton

Registered

Attachments

Joe K

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019
The faces of gauges WERE originally silvered. Time and interest of users to "clean" the gauge-faces usually results in the silvering being "lost" and the gauge face appearing brass. Some sellers in the interest of "improving" a gauge's salability (and realized price) will use Brasso on everything including the face - this is a mistake.

Given a choice between a somewhat silvered gauge face and a "brass appearing" face, I'll always take the somewhat. Sellers, in their effort to improve their market position may actually be decreasing it. So if you have a gauge and want to "brighten it up" for sale, stick to brushing it with a soft cloth, and if the numbers are imprinted, use a Sharpie (or a fine brush and black paint) to strengthen the numbering/lines.

It is possible to "re-silver" the face, but the chemicals are fairly hazardous, fairly difficult to buy nowadays, and certainly present a disposal challenge after the job is done. Its not a job to be done unless one "strips" the gauge face back to pure brass and then re-silvers the whole face (and re does the number paint.) A lot of work.

Joe K