• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Crossley Bros 13055 Runs!!

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Not sure if anyone missed this in the main forum but we had 3 successful starts on Wednesday and one more on Friday.
Wanted to thank everyone who gave advice, info, pictures and anything else I asked about.
There's a few minor issues that need addressed and one moderate one that requires the piston to come out one more time.
Hopefully see another run early this week.

Here's Fridays start up:

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi Jonathon,
Thanks for posting the video.
I don't know if this was mentioned on the main forum, the front bearing for the side shaft definitely looks like it was designed for to and fro rather than up and down thrust.
Regards,
Wayne

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Hi Jonathon,
Thanks for posting the video.
I don't know if this was mentioned on the main forum, the front bearing for the side shaft definitely looks like it was designed for to and fro rather than up and down thrust.
Regards,
Wayne
You mind running that by me again??
Not sure if it will be relevant to your point but only the outer half of the front bearing (governor pedestal) is original. The inner half was replaced, presumably with the cylinder.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Runs very nicely. I especially like the vice grips locked in place.
With the Wheatley conversion the governor was heavily modified. The weight difference was substantial enough that the vice grips alone aren’t enough to lift the plate out of the way except at very high speeds.

The grips + a 7/8 wrench seems to be ideal

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
One of the sounds of it running suggests end float in the sideshaft - could that be the case?
Considering the cylinder has been replaced and the inner half of the front sideshaft bearing I’d say it’s not only possible, it’s probable.

We’re finding more and more about these Wheatley conversions every step we make forward. I’m not gonna come right out and call them hacks but their work isn’t up to the standard set by Crossley.

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
Hi,
I didn't realise the bearing block wasn't original.
What I meant was that the oil film would be better suited to a slide valve having it split vertical rather than horizontal.
Wayne

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Hi,
I didn't realise the bearing block wasn't original.
What I meant was that the oil film would be better suited to a slide valve having it split vertical rather than horizontal.
Wayne
If the block was original we’d already know what it was. The early timed hot tube had a hole in the bracket for the timed hot tube pivot.

But isn’t the vertical bearing pretty standard for early Crossley engines?? Especially the flyball governed ones...

Attachments

Last edited:

Wayne Timms

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/24/2019
But isn’t that pretty standard for early Crossley engines?? Especially the flyball governed ones...
I do not know if that's standard, I've never really paid attention. It would make sense for the slide valves to be split that way, didn't realise poppet valves were split that way as well.
Wayne

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Another thing to consider is where the lower bolt sits for that front sideshaft bracket.

The original sideshaft bracket wouldn’t work for the new cylinder because it had one bolt above the sideshaft and one below. (As shown on the 7hp in pic 3)

Pic 1 shows the 3 bolt system the Wheatley conversion used, and pic 2 shows how the original bracket could not have worked as the cylinder stops shy of where it was to be mounted.

Pic 4 is a later Crossley with a similar assembly.

Attachments

Last edited:

LCJudge

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/14/2019
Jonathan,
Well, those observations do give some strength to the thought that things aren't placed correctly for it to be a timed hot tube engine. That means it may very well be the elusive slide valve design.

Sad Iron

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2019
Jonathan,
Well, those observations do give some strength to the thought that things aren't placed correctly for it to be a timed hot tube engine. That means it may very well be the elusive slide valve design.
Thanks for the intel Tommy. There’s more pictures in the main engine forum. Here’s a couple more with my attempted explanation.

So. From the factory the front sideshaft bearings on the timed hot tubes and the gen 2 sliders was the same. 2 bolts vertically aligned, one above and one below the sideshaft. The only difference in the inner bracket was the round hole in the hot tube engines for the cam pivot.

So if our sideshaft started with that layout the bottom bolt would be about 1” below the sideshaft which is already 2” lower than the normal sideshafts.

The bottom bolt is no more than 1” up from the bottom of the cylinder on the 7hp engine. So if the same layout is observed for the 4hp engine then the bottom bolt would be installed 1” below the bottom of the cylinder...

Pic 1 is a close up of 13055 showing the modified sideshaft hanger.

2 is a print of a 4hp 2nd gen slider. The only item to note here is how far down the slide valve “head” drops compared to the hot tube.

3 is the Eckton engine from the side to show how high the bottom of the cylinder is.

4 is a line drawing of an 1890 French Crossley showing the same.

Attachments

Last edited: