• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Crossley TSH4 (short video)

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Got this at the Bob Bailey sale, been fiddling with it trying to get the hot bulb to seal. Still not perfect but I was able to start it, it stalled out after I turned the torch off and I couldn’t get it to go again :mad: I may need to pull the head off and machine where the hot bulb sits as it still leaks.....

Inter Bloke

Registered
Re: Crossley TSH4 ( short video)

The dark side have you come . Soon very the bulldogs appear will if careful you are not !

---------- Post added at 09:58:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02:40 PM ----------

Andrew, in all seriousness, does it have a copper gasket sealing the hotbowl ? If it has you may need to anneal the ring to get it to seal. I had to do it to the sealing ring on the steel horse hotbowl 30 odd years ago because it wouldn't seal. All you have to do if that is the case is heat the ring up with the gas plant until very hot and let it cool off by throwing it (or carefully placing it so it doesn't get bent) in a bucket of ash so it cools off slowly. That will soften it and it "may" seal again. I know you well enough that if one of the surfaces is actually distorted and needs to be machined you can and will do it well, so goodluck and well done it looks good running even if it does leak a bit !

Se ya in a couple of weeks (I hope)
Graham

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020

Yea, I made a new copper gasket for it ( old Braemar hot water heater gotta be good for something) but was no good. A big dollop of maniseal and the exhaust gasket material that bob had in it worked.... briefly.... I may have made the copper gasket too wide, I shall play over the weekend.

I’ve got some 1/8 copper wire coming as well to try.

sunshineman

Registered

Hi
Make a new gasket, clean areas well use copper coat ,
I had the same problem on a petter S .no more issues
Copper coat sticks and seals very well.
Regards sunshineman

Chester

Registered
Got this at the Bob Bailey sale, been fiddling with it trying to get the hot bulb to seal. Still not perfect but I was able to start it, it stalled out after I turned the torch off and I couldn’t get it to go again :mad: I may need to pull the head off and machine where the hot bulb sits as it still leaks.....

Very nice Andrew, sounds good.

cobbadog

Registered
Yes Andrew that is good stuff. I have used it on quite a few different jobs fom lawn mower through to tractor head gaskets. Once you have used it you will continue to do so.
One job was a mower engine and I did not have a replacement gasket so I sprayed all surfaces barrel, head and both sides of the gasket. Still hard at work again.

Over 40 years ago we used to use the fair dinkum can of silver frost. The can weighed a ton when you picked it up. Gave it a good stir and painted all surfaces and gasket and pulled the ehad down Theory was to take out any small imperfections. Well the spray on copper stuff is my 21st century silver frost.

E27N

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/06/2020
Bump!

Well I got it sorted, between Ozfarm and my old man we worked out something was warping causing the hot bulb to not seal. Turns out it was the bracket holding the hot bulb on wasn’t pushing it square, so I made a new one out of 20X75 flat bar which worked.... briefly... so I reinforced it a bit. With a new copper gasket and VHT copper coat it seals nicely now. Then it blew the head gasket.... so I new one made from 3mm Klingersil.. Much betterer.

I also made a new plug for the bulb out of 30mm hex that protrudes into the chamber and is bored out 3/8 to let it heat up quicker.

20AB3269-911E-4E39-9394-C86319AAF6AF.jpg