• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Be certain that you have spelled your email address correctly! Your account is then manually checked and approved.

Cummins HBI 150 1940's Single Disk Pump and Injectors

dieselsteveo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Do the engines still have the single disc fuel system, or have they be upgraded to PT??

Single Disc Injector:
--With the injectors in and tightened down, start with #1 cylinder, bar the engine until #1 comes up for the compression stroke. Finish barring the engine until the 1&6 VS mark on the fuel pump drive pulley lines up with the mark on the gear cover.
--Make sure the injector rocker screw lock nut is backed off ways. using a large screw driver, screw the injector rocker adjusting screw down until you bottom out the injector needle good and snug.
--Holding the screw in place with the screw driver, and tighten the lock nut down with a wrench.
--Check and reset valve lash for #1 intake and exhaust.
--Done with #1. Bar the engine and repeat for 5,3,6,2,and 4.

If the engines are PT, the procedure is different. Let me know and I'll outline that one for you.

We have two HBI engines in a 45 ton GE locomotive, built 1943. There are getting tired, and we are doing our best to keep them going. Right now we are trying to set the injector timing. I have cleaned out the injector tips with a .006" drill in a hand vise( 72 holes with a nearly invisible drill bit), and now have a nice spray pattern. We found some instructions on setting the timing however they do not make any sense to me, or the owner of the loco. we are both experianced mechanics. Any words of wisdom?

dvarholy

Registered
Have now acquired an even older model HBI engine to rebuild as a spare for two small G.E. locomotives used at our museum. This engine is serial 31707 with a casting date of 10-23-42. The disk pump is long gone. Some peculiarities are an aluminum oil pan and valve covers. My 1943 generator engine serial 35948 has stamped steel valve covers and a cast iron oil pan. I assume during the war, aluminum was in high demand.

Daniel

dieselsteveo

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Have now acquired an even older model HBI engine to rebuild as a spare for two small G.E. locomotives used at our museum. This engine is serial 31707 with a casting date of 10-23-42. The disk pump is long gone. Some peculiarities are an aluminum oil pan and valve covers. My 1943 generator engine serial 35948 has stamped steel valve covers and a cast iron oil pan. I assume during the war, aluminum was in high demand.

Daniel
Nice acquisition! Since the single disc pump is ’long gone’ I assume it’s been updated to PT?