• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Cushman Model-X Engine info needed

JLeatherman

Registered
Last fall I acquired an early 20's Cushman Model-X from my grandfather's estate. For any not familiar with this engine it is an open-crankcase predecessor to the Cushman Cub engines. Updraft lukenheimer carb, headless/sidevalve, etc. I would like more info on this engine as I can't find much in books (even the venerable Gas Engine Encyclopedia). My grandfather rigged up a chain-drive system on the right-side of the engine to operate an old caterpilar magneto which fires the engine at the moment. However, it is lacking in power and i think it is poorly timed (but it does run quite well all day). I'd like information/pictures on the original ignition system, as well as any other tidbits on this odd engine (paint colors, possible dates for the serial number, etc). At the moment it is on a fairly nice home-built cart and is painted a flaking red.

Steve McClellan

Registered
My X is a battery ignition. looked to have had points mounted on an advancing lever but I'm using a static mounted micro-switch.Many had an EK mag. I found some dark green inside the flywheels & decided on Rustolium forrest green-looks good to me. I think they were dark green with red skids??

Axtion Jim S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
My x is Wico fired, I haven`t ran this engine yet as it went togethether failt snug. I`m going to belt it up and give it some limber time. I found a address through the Cushman enginering site and Scot Cushman gave a address of browncushman, he is the man when it comes to this engine as he has a very large collection of engines and things related. Check it out.

JLeatherman

Registered
Interesting. I've got a parts manual for the engine, and it shows a battery box and a buzz coil for the batt-fired engines, and also a Wico with a bracket for the others. I'd like to possibly drum up the missing parts to make it Wico fired again, but the chain-driven cat mag is pretty neat. It does have an advancing lever (presently connected to nothing).

Jim, where might I get the info to contact browncushman?

JLeatherman

Registered
Sounds just like mine. I've got the same muffler, and I was surprised how quiet it is considering that the muffler is so small. Also, you can't miss that weird sucking noise that Lunk carb makes :). I like the mag setup on yours, is there any way to tell if mine was originally a mag or a battery engine?

Junkologist

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/28/2019
If you look close at my engine, you will see a bolt head on the right side of the mag. This is where the mag bracket mounts to the hopper. There is a raised boss on the hopper that locates in a groove on the mag bracket to keep it in the right spot. It also keeps the bracket from rotating down due to being mounted with only one bolt. I would say that if your engine doesn't have this raised boss with a threaded hole in the center, it never had a mag on it. I could be wrong though, if there was a different kind of bracket used at some point.

Dan Baalman

Registered
Last Subscription Date
03/26/2017
I had one just like junkologist described and had another one once that had a high tension rotary mag mounted on the back of the hopper.

Axtion Jim S

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2020
High guys I took some photos of my X and I will try to post them. In the morn I will take the mag off and get a shot of the mount.