• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Dating Older Plywood Chests - Actual 3/4" Thickness Ply

tabbyapple

Registered
I have three massive 40" x 24" hinged chests each weighing over 45 pounds. The top hinged lid and fixed bottom are made from 3/4" thick plywood with dado edges for the 3/4" thick wood plank sidewalls. Each case has a outer glossy finish, hinges, latch, and metal sliders on the bottom (one with steel ball bearings). Research indicates that these were made by a WWII veteran to store linens. Darkened 1955 newspapers were used as packaging around some items, thus I think they were likely made in the 1945 to 1955 time frame.

I know the actual dimensions of wood products have gradually decreased in size over time but was wondering if there was a general time frame when 3/4" plywood was decreased in thickness. Perhaps they might be made from a special grade of plywood that retained the 3/4" actual thickness verses regular construction plywood.

tdmidget

Registered
Cabinet grades ( which yours appears to be ) and marine grades are on the nominal size. Construction grades are undersized.