• If you like what you see here and your interests are compatible with our 30,000 other users, Welcome. Fill out the registration form with your interests, your real name (seen only by moderators) and your city, state or country. Your account is then manually checked and approved. There is too much funny business on the web for us to do otherwise. Be sure to use a working email address and do not use cloaking or anonymous web connections.

David Bradley Go Kart

Joe Lofink

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/21/2014
Just picked this up and until I found it for sale I didn't even know there was such a thing. Looking for any information concerning this machine.:shrug:

Attachments

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
I have a 1962 Sears Farm & garden catalog that shows this very machine. I Just loaned it to a young friend to look at and will have it back after the weekend. I'll scan the page and put it up here for all to see. :)

Dcarpent

Registered
I had one when I was a kid. One wheel drive and I wore the drive wheel bald! Great find and thanks for bringing back the memories.

Jeff Lauber

Registered
nice catch Joe. That ones is in perfect shape, i wouldnt do anything to it. There is lots of info the Sears Farm catalogs on these carts. There were several differnt models and one or two came with dual motors.

DriverR

Registered
A beauty. I see the gas and brake rods from the front and what looks like scrub brakes behind rear tires.

What is the lever for beside seat, shift gears or reverse?

Nevr-Enuf-Stuf

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/15/2019
The big lever to the left of the seat is for F-forward, N-neutral and R-reverse, the decal is on the fender.

Patrick

Brian Lynch

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
As promised, a blast from the 1962 Sears Suburban - Farm Supplies and Fencing Catalog. Check out the Play-Trac and Kiddie Carnival ride! This kart shows a horizontal shaft Craftsman Tecumseh engine. It's probably a H-22. Scrub brakes are visible behind the rear tires. This machine apparently didn't have a reverse gear.

Attachments

Mike Neuman

Registered
Joe:

Yard Man made those. They also made lawn mowers for Sears. The mowers with all the belt drives. Yard Man sold the go kart under their own name, were painted gold and white. Factory was in Jackson Michigan

Mike

SoTexRattler

Registered
Cool looking go-kart!
But, wind-up start!!! NOOOooo!!!:eek:
Oh Gosh I hated that design. That brings back mowing nightmares...
As a kid, we had a Sears mower with a Lauson-Techumseh engine on it with that kind of starter...
Start cranking on it at dawn and by mid-morning you MIGHT have it running... I became quite proficient with some impressive cusswords over that kind of starter.:rant: (learned them from dad)
We would even refuel it running so we wouldn't have to start cranking it again.

Please tell me Briggs had better luck with them than L-T did.

mrf1002u

Registered
Ariens was just as bad as I remember it. We had some model of Ariens rear engine rider with it and as I remember, after a while the pot metal or aluminum cup under it would start to strip. Starter just didn't give it enough revolutions to make it reliable.

Restofire

Registered
Thanks for posting that, love antique go karts, this one is interesting with the verticle shaft and lawnmower transmission, good stuff ! I'm doing a 1963 McDonough Tin Lizzy being powered by a 1949 Briggs & Stratton Model A. I will post pictures very soon , almost done !

Joe Lofink

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/21/2014
Would like to thank everyone for their replies and I really liked the page from the Sears catalog. Sorry Doug but I don't think you'll see me riding this one. Sure looked bigger in the pictures. I'll probably just clean this one up a little and get the engine to run, surprise the crank start mechanism is broke. It is also missing the drive sprocket for the rear wheel. I am also working on a Tin Lizzie but this is a newer one built be Crew Cut. It is a "Spirit of 76" model and according to the research I've done there were only 12 of these hand painted models made. This one came original with a Clinton engine and two weeks after I bought this one a NOS engine exactly the one on this buggie came up at auction. Never had gas or oil in it and the paint is still on the muffler. This is about one of six projects I'm currently working on.

Attachments