• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Davis Engine Co. Waterloo Iowa

D

David Bacon

Just found a gas engine cart with Davis Gas Engine Co. Waterloo Iowa on it --any information would help. Thanks in advance Dave NE Iowa

M

Marty

Per Wendels BRB, "William Davis started building engines during the mid 1890s. The Davis engine was very simple, a big advantage to farmers who had never seen a gas engine much less operate one. At this point in time most repair work fell on the shoulders of the local blacksmith... garages & mechanics were as yet unheard of. Farmers in particular welcomed pumping engines although relatively few were able to take advantage of this new source of power. Many farmers were afraid of buying an outfit they knew nothing about while others thought it scandalous to let a machine do something that could be done by hand & probably the vast majority simply couldn't afford the first cost. Davis engines were eventually built by Waterloo Motor Works, then by Cascaden Mfg. Co. and eventually by Wm. Galloway Co."

D

David Bacon

I am going to write one letter and send to all that have responded. I do not have a engine or a cart. I found a cart only, it has the fanciest wheels your little eyes have ever seen. It is buried in a shed full of horse drawn equipment. The gentleman that owns it does not care to sell any of it, because it was his grandfathers. The gentleman that owns it married a Davis girl probably fifty some odd years ago, so there is probably little chance he would ever sell it. The building has a newer tin roof on it so it really should really be unharmed for years to come. I will watch it all like a hawk though. I am totally sorry if I did not go into detail as I realize I should have so please accept my apologies. My first guess is it was used for pumping water when the engine was still on it. I would also guess probably a 1 ½ HP. I will take lots of pictures, but I have no Idea how to post them. I sure will be busy for a while now, but will try to post later on. I should be talking to the gentleman soon and will pick his brain. Maybe he will loan it to our antique club also. Thanks guys Dave NE Iowa

J

Jon Selzler

can anyone tell me where one could find a history of the Davis Company, and all the following engine concerns, and companys related to Davis?? Is something available to buy?? I am sure there would be something in Wendells book, but is there something else, on just Davis?Thanks for your help.