• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Dayton 4W112/ Generac Alternator

ClydeM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/09/2019
I have a blown VR in an older Dayton that has a 5,000 watt Generac alternator (model 0962159). This model is not covered in either the Intertec Volumes 2 or 3. And if it is in the Generac January, 2000 Familiarization and Troubleshooting Guide, I can not find it. I am in need of a part number if anyone can identify this, or even a schematic if possible. Suggestions for replacing it would also be appreciated,. Previous owner had the VR replaced by a dealer many years ago so this may not be the part originally supplied. Thanks!

Attachments

ClydeM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/09/2019
Thanks Bassplayer. I was afraid you were going to say that. Given the price of those boards I was looking to either: put a cheapo Chinese regulator on it or, put a Winco head on. If I have this correct; (+) (wire # 4) Positive brush, (-)(wire # 1) neg brush, "E symbol", excitation voltage wires ( #3 and 6... two terminals), "S" symbol, sampling voltage (feedback) wires (# 11 and 22,,, two terminals). I don't mind if this experiment ends up with letting some smoke out and toasting either the regulator or the generator as I could then fall back on plan B putting the Winco head on. Any guidance would be appreciated, thanks!

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
This board looks simplistic enough being a comparator circuit. it can be repaired. Heat gun will release the resin, and some reverse engineering of the parts will allow repair. Retail it sells for $179.00, but I'm positive total cost in parts is less than $12 USD retail!

FYI excitation wires are #2 and #6 normally on Dayton Generacs.

ClydeM

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/09/2019
Basspalyer said:
"FYI excitation wires are #2 and #6 normally on Dayton Generacs."

Not on this one!

If you also look at my most recent post you will see that the VR called for in the 4W112 Dayton is also part # 67107 ... problem is one has six wires (seven inclusive of ground) the other four (with no grounding at all) Also adding to the confusion is that retaining slots are completely different in size and it is obvious that the parts are not interchangeable physically in their original locations. Ummm. Any ideas?

Bassplayer1985

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
10/03/2019
Clyde,

Yes #3 and #6 are the DPE wires

The original VR has 6+G. It used the ground and one half winding to reference as a method to regulate voltage.

You can use either one of the 6+G or 4 wire VR for a new replacement. The only difference with the 4 wire is you do not need the sensing wires. There is a feedback loop circuit already built into the VR already and a small blue trimmer pot to fine tune output voltage replacing the sensing wire circuit.

Changing the spade connector size is easy enough, just adapt the connectors to the ones on your VR. easy crimp and splice job.