• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Debolt Star Model Build

Mike O

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/12/2019
John, it looks like a fun project the star engine is my favorite engine ! I am looking forward to seeing progression as you build them

joneg

Registered
Check the cylinder locating dowel pin hole locations on the base and cylinder drawings. When i did mine the drawing were a 1/32" different, i don't know if he corrected them or not.
jon

JFleury

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
I just spent a bit of time making a tubing bender for the fuel lines on the star I am going to fabricat two stainless steel tanks as I will be working from the bottom to the top and there are some bends in the lines. This works quite well no kinks nice smooth bends I did anneal the tubing first though. in one pic it is kinked on the end that was withut the bender

Attachments

JFleury

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
Making some stainless steel fuel tanks. Debolt will supply you with a plastic tank for $45 one I am no fan of plastic in this context and you could say I am a bit frugal as well. with the tanks made I can ajust the fill pipe to the right height tofit the tanks and get a vent pipe situated

Attachments

Gil Garceau

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/01/2019
Great project, John. I have a Star model built by Lee DeGood.
I'm certain you will be very happy with these models. They are super nice runners.

Gil

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
I have been looking for a built brass fuel tank, to run my Coles 4 cylinder engine with. I don't want plastic crap, and Debolt sells a kit to make your own. Unfortunately, I cannot solder here in my apartment, so I am looking for a ready to use tank, like the ones they used to use in remote controlled or tether airplanes. There was an outfit named ACME back in the '60s that made tanks, but they are no longer in business. :(

JFleury

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
Finally got back to the star project Working on studs and bolt which I usually do at the end figured I would get them out of the way early this time as it tends to be a bit tediuos

Attachments

joneg

Registered
found another error on the drawings i have.

intake valve shroud has a .281 id that is supposed to fit over a .312 od on the head, not gonna happen

JFleury

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
I am getting along on this project, 16 months into it with a full time job and other things its taking a bit longer than I had planned. 4-5 more parts and the igniter assembly will be done then its on to fuel and carburation.This is a quite challenging build entailing 100's of parts.

Attachments

Mike O

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
08/12/2019
Beautiful work john, great job. It will all be worth it when you are done !

JFleury

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/02/2019
I have deviated from the Debolt model in several areas cutting out the use of brass in many places to making the flywheel keys to my design.Also I made my own oilers and passed on the rod oiler which in my opinion is way to big to fit the scale of the engine