• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Deering 1 1/2 M oiler size?

1/4case

Registered
Have 2 M's both missing correct oilers, what is the correct item to purchase?

Im new to flywheelers, I read the oiler needs a check valve? Assume the oilers are for engines and not machinery oilers?

SproutW

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/13/2013
My father recently acquired a 1 1/2 model M and we have the same question.

Jeffery Jackson

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/17/2013
Mine came equipped with a #3 Michigan oiler. Should not need a checkball oiler unless you are loosing a lot of compression past the rings

Tom Trainor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/19/2019
You do need to have an oiler with a check ball and a relief tube for the M's . For the 11/2 hp either a #2 or a #3 will look just fine

Matt1931

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/11/2016
I'm not sure who makes the org oiler but when you see one after you know what one looks like you can pick it out 3 feet away ( no name on it) filler has a thumb screw.

1/4case

Registered
Bought to of them new from Essex Brass out of MI. Been building them since 11'. Ordered a #3 with the ball. Under $70 new.

HitMissTinkerer

Registered
Best to my knowledge and open to correction, but the ihc m is a closed pressurized system, if the origonal oil exhuast/vent system is used with the leather pad. Hence needing a check ball in the oiler to prevent the crank case from venting out the oiler. Or i could be wrong....

Dick Graybill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/26/2020
Model m"s are not to my knowledge pressurized crankcase. They have the breather on the rear of the engine. They do not have to have the oiler with valve and tube in the oiler. If they did a guess mine would not run.

LarrapMan

Registered
Last Subscription Date
06/24/2012
Don't all be silly, everyone knows that M's should have an oiler with a check valve and vent tube as does pretty much every engine of that period and earlier. If your's doesn't then it's incorrect, that doesn't mean the world will end if it doesn't have a check valve or the piston rings will melt immediately but it's certainly not the oiler it came out of the factory with.

IHC M's originaly had an oiler that looks very similar to a Lunkenheimer Paragon except a little plainer.

I'm not certain every single M right up until the end of production used them identical to this but most certainly did.

Joe

HitMissTinkerer

Registered
Dick im not sure if the term i used is correct. But the breather is opened by air pressure in the case to remove oil. Im no expert by any means. :eek:

L-man that is a nice oiler. Wont ask about the rest of the picture :confused:

Dick Graybill

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/26/2020
I'm probably wrong, but I was told the breather was used to equalize the air pressure in the crankcase by allowing air to enter when the piston was going to tdc and releasing pressure when going to bdc ,not to drain excess oil, however I guess it would also do that. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm trying to learn too.