• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Delco 752 8C3, Intro to the forum

tbird255

Registered
Ouch... this doesn't sound good. Sorry... been busy with everything BUT engine work for a couple months. …. I finally got the spark-plug out of mine. 3-4 months soaking/heating/penetrating oil, and it still took 250 Ft-lbs to break free.
Next - push the piston with grease and see if my internals are similar to yours.

Regarding the cam - what did you end up doing? Some small parts like that could be built up with spray weld and reground.
Regarding the valve - what are the diameters of the stem and head? (mine are no where near out yet....)

hopefully the stem is a standard size, so if you can find one the right length, it can be cut/ground to work.
** just saw the prior post about using Model T valves.... That's an idea.

Last edited:

tbird255

Registered
Update??? I finally got my Piston out, and one valve. Still soaking the exhaust, but may have to drill it out. Rings on order from Otto, and waiting to order valves (may need to upsize the stem). So far, the solenoids and coil check out OK, so I'm optimistic....but gonna be a long road yet.

ff4312

Registered
Update??? I finally got my Piston out, and one valve. Still soaking the exhaust, but may have to drill it out. Rings on order from Otto, and waiting to order valves (may need to upsize the stem). So far, the solenoids and coil check out OK, so I'm optimistic....but gonna be a long road yet.
Good to hear on the piston and valve! It's been a awhile since I've had a chance to get back on this project. I packed up the cylinder assembly, camshaft and valves to go to a machine shop in the morning. Fingers crossed. They have 40 years doing automotive engines so I figure I'll start there. If that's the worst of it and if I can get that situated, then the rest will come easier. Did you take your solenoids out of circuit to test them?

tbird255

Registered
Good to hear on the piston and valve! It's been a awhile since I've had a chance to get back on this project. I packed up the cylinder assembly, camshaft and valves to go to a machine shop in the morning. Fingers crossed. They have 40 years doing automotive engines so I figure I'll start there. If that's the worst of it and if I can get that situated, then the rest will come easier. Did you take your solenoids out of circuit to test them?
I've tested my mixer solenoids, as they were disconnected. The relay solenoids look very clean, so I don't presume any issues . (haven't tested) . You should be able to test them just by jumping across the appropriate terminals with a charger. 12-13, 11-12, 3-15, and 21-16, 22-4. 17-3 would test the crank cutout.

abowman89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/24/2020
Fyi if you need some spare parts i have a complete 8c3 i dissassembled two
Years ago. I had mine running but the front main bearing was bad and the generater wasnt producing.