• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Delco 850

Jeff P Smith

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Was able to acquire this Delco Light Plant this weekend. Was originally installed in a basement in Redlands, CA in 1920. The guy I got it from apologized for painting it, said it was all original when he bought it and removed it from the basement. Any one have the missing cover for sale? Thanks, Jeff

Attachments

Vanman

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Neat! While the loss of original paint is always sad, at least he didn't paint it in carnival colors! :bonk:

Keith

That's one of the nicest looking 850's I've seen. Unless you're a real originality type, painting them does a good job of refreshing their appearance. I notice it also has the somewhat rare "amp hour" meter that can be set to run the unit enough for battery charging, then automatically shut down. Also, the stencils on the back of the control panel are in excellent shape!

The usual caution applies..........get a manual and don't try to run it without batteries.

I have a reproduction manual provided by FD Chief here on the forum and it does a good job of explaining the operation of everything.

Jeff P Smith

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/04/2020
Thanks Guys!

What kind of home use equipment was around to run with theses generators? Lights, fans come to mind but what about other stuff? Electric drill? Bench grinder?

---------- Post added at 06:37:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35:42 AM ----------

That's one of the nicest looking 850's I've seen. Unless you're a real originality type, painting them does a good job of refreshing their appearance. I notice it also has the somewhat rare "amp hour" meter that can be set to run the unit enough for battery charging, then automatically shut down. Also, the stencils on the back of the control panel are in excellent shape!

The usual caution applies..........get a manual and don't try to run it without batteries.

I have a reproduction manual provided by FD Chief here on the forum and it does a good job of explaining the operation of everything.
Thanks George. A friend is sending me some copies of what he has, after I go thru them I will see if FD Chief has others to fill in the blanks