• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Delco Light Plant ID

Warren Wolf

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/25/2016
Hello, I have a delco light plant that was given to me in pieces. I think it is an 850, but I am not sure, The small aluminum serial number tag reads "Delco 180799". Is there any way to verify that it is an 850 from that number? Also how do you date them? The flywheel turns over but when the piston gets to the top it seems to bind up. Any thoughts? Attached is a photo of the control panel. Thanks in advance for any help.

Warren

Attachments

Andrew Mackey

Last Subscription Date
05/14/2017
Re: Delco ID

Make sure the cam and lifters are not stuck. If water has rusted the lifters in their bores, cam gear damage may result if you force the engine to turn.
Andrew

Warren Wolf

Registered
Last Subscription Date
07/25/2016

John, thanks for the photo. I think that verifies that mine is an 850. Andrew, thanks for the heads up. Can anyone tell me how to get at the lifters or the crank to remove it to replace the bearings? Do I have to pull the flywheel? It looks like it is tough to get at. Thanks

Warren

Don C. Wiley

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2010

Warren;

Why do you think you need to replace the beariings? As long as there is oil in the crank case the bearings should be good. No new bearings available for these generators, they are either double ball bearings or roller bearings and no one makes new ones that will fit. I have a roller bearing for the flywheel end of the crankcase, along with the casting to hold it. It will run your engine for a long time, but it might make a little noise when it runs.

Delco-Light made the Model-850 through their total time of production, 1916 - 1947. In between time they made some where in the neighbor hood of 90 different models and the only way to tell what model it is, is to have a knowdledgealble person to identify it with a picture. The serial number, some times, will date the unit, but won't help with a model number. During manufacture they would make 500 or so Model-850's and then switch to Model-600's and number them consectively, so you might have one Model-850 with serial number 12348 and a Model-600 with serial numbere 12349, until they started out the next Monday with Model-300's and it would be 123550. Your Model-850 was made later than my list goes. My list has July 1921 with a number 116000. I would guess yours may have been made around 1928 or 1929. That's just an estimate on my part. Maybe some one out there has a more complete listing than I do.

The head is easy to remove and you should do that to see what is causing the piston to stick at the top. I would emagine it's rust at the top of the cylinder. With the head off you can use a cylinder deglasier and polish up the top of the cylinder and it should be fine to run, even if there are a few spots that don't clean up completely. Ones you have the head off, you can pull the push rods out the top. Make sure there is oil in the crankcase and since you have already turned it over part way, there is little chance you have damaged any thing, but it would be good to check it over to make sure. You have to remove the flywheel to change the bearings. There is a casting to hold the bearing behind the flywheel. That is a tapered gib key to hold the flywheel tight. Remove the nut that holds the flywheel tight and then rremove the gib key. There is also a bearing between the crankcase and the generator. To change it you will need to remove the armature from the crankshaft and the shaft comes out the flywheel side of the crankcase.

If you need any more help, let me know and I can probably help. I've been collecting Delco-Light generators and asorted " stuff" for 20 years. Please get in touch with me via e-mail. dcwiley@egyptian.net

"DELCO DON" :p:cool:Southern Illinois:O:)

Last edited:

kris hendricks

Registered

i also have what i think is a erley 850 ser #85274 it has a wico igniter type LS NO 441SS I have tried to find eney infromation on the igniter and have not found a thing the light plant is 115 volt no panel just to wiers coming from rubber gromet coming from generator it was taken off a shrimp boat in 1929 starts and runs fine just want information? tanks.

Mike Schweikert

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

My reference goes a little farther.:D

Warren, looks like it was made between Jul 1 1923 (170000) to Jan of 1924(184000) around 2333/mo

Kris, yours was made between Jul 1 1919 (73000) and Jan of 1920 (94000) around 3500/mo

Last edited:

kris hendricks

Registered

thanks fore the date of manufacture, Dose enyone have pictures of eny with magnetos fore starting around this time 1919 -1920 ?

Mike Schweikert

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/09/2019

The only ones with magneto at and after that time, were the ones that were built into the flywheel like a briggs and Stratton. That would be the model 1275 and 1278. One was 110 and the other 32 volt.

I had the engine only version of that and it is on my vid page. It ran with the mag in the flywheel.

The rest all used either 32 volt or 110v batteries for starting regulating and generating. the 110 used only 32 volts at the coil. So the rest were only run on battery and coil.

kris hendricks

Registered

the delco i have is the only one with an outbord mag/igniter that I seen and it looks totely factory done I will take pictures and try to post them thanks agen:)