• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Delco Light Plant Need Help

MaytagRepairMan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2019
I just picked up this Delco Light Plant. I have a few questions in ref to it....

It is going to need a good cleaning as it has been sitting for year and the cooling fins are full of dust and junk....will have to check the valve also as they are not working right either...hope it is not a bad thing....As you can see in the photos it will need a few small parts, so I will check the want ads and Flea-Markets, or if someone knows someone that can help me out PM me I'm on here just about everyday....so on to the questions....

Do I need to have a 32 Volt battery setup to run this engine?
Does any one know the Model # and output?

David

Attachments

Ironsides

Registered
David,be very careful with them at the stage you are at.They are old and fragile.Try not to force the engine over as this only breaks bits,(I know and the bits you do break are always the expensive/rare bits).If you can get it apart soak the frozen bits in a mix of dieso and a bit of engine oil.The head gasket will be OK if you are careful clean it up and paint with silverfros let it dry before refitting.Keep cranking,Norm

Don C. Wiley

In Memory Of
Last Subscription Date
03/08/2010
David, your generator is a Model-600. Nice little units and as suggested, be carful turning it over. As old as that unit is, it would be best to take it all apart to make sure you don't have a lot of rust in the gears. They used a gear that runs in the oil to slig it around to oil every thing. Some times it condenses water in the crnk case the gear gets rusty. If you try to run it, you can ruin the gear.

I got one running good without taking it apart and it took both gears out. I can't rember if that one had the pot metal bushings on the cam shaft or not. If it does have them, be very carful getting it out. Some times heat and oil is the only way to get them freed up.

I may have a few parts for that one?

"DELCO DON":p:cool:Southern Illinois;):)

MaytagRepairMan

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/03/2019
Don,

I can tell you it was turned over a lot at the auction....I have not done much with it yet...planning on playing with it some over the 4th July Weekend....will keep you up on the progress...

David

pjamme

Registered
David,
I was just doodling around the site and saw you too have a model 600. Do you mind metnioning how much you paid for it at the auction.
Not sure I am up for rebuilding mine at this point and may just try to sell it.
Thanking you in advance,
peter

Steve Wright

Registered
Last Subscription Date
10/10/2009
David,
How are you getting along with the Delco model 600? I have one I restored several years ago. We could chat about them this winter.

Steve in Nebraska