• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Dempster 2 1/2 HP Class 2H

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
I recently acquired a 2 1/2 HP Class 2 H Dempster engine. I believe that it is an earlier engine in this model line because of the Sumter JR mag and ignitor set up. The engine will run on the mag, but not start on it. I assume that the mag should be timed. I am going to take it apart, clean it and try to time it for peak power output when the ignitor trips. Any advice on this would be appreciated.

I have posted an ad for a governor weight cover but have struck out so far. https://www.enginads.com/classifieds/showproduct.php/product/155523/cat/500 Does anyone have a spare governor weight cover or a rocker arm. The one on the engine has a rather poor repair on it.

The engine came out of Kansas. I was able to source an original cart and strip off the old paint. Not lot of original paint remains, but the patina matches the cart. Here are some pictures as purchased and one transferred to the new cart.

Joel

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
Re: Dempster 2 1/2 HP

Here are a few pictures on the original cart with the new paint stripped exposing the remaining original paint.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
Dale,

Different types of paints react differently to cleaners and paint removal products. I used some aerosol paint remover, but primarily aerosol Gumout carburetor cleaner. This was painted with a very cheap, light coat of paint with apparantly very little prep work. I started at the top and flooded it with carburetor cleaner. I let the cleaner and gravity do the work with lots of blotting and wiping. This is what I ended up with. The carburetor cleaner did not seem to attack the original paint like it did the cheap modern paint.

Last edited:

Inverted

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/26/2019
Joel: I do have a couple of machined and ready to install repo rocker arms for the 2 1/2 HP Dempster's - If interested give me a call. - Ted

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
When I got mine all I could find was gray paint.???
David,

I believe that all Dempster's were green, but this is based on observations and catalog images.
They used a very thick heavy paint. The ones I've seen that have set outside for a long time have faded out and lost the majority if not all of their pigment. The original engines with lots of Grease are definitely a dark green.

Here is an update below after looking at the attached pictures.

Attached are a couple of pictures of original engines that were very greasy. They were cleaned carefully revealing the original paint. The first one is just a picture of the nice dark green paint. The second one shows the side of the hopper. If you look closely there's green paint on top and then a darker gray filler primer material underneath it where the top coat has peeled or chipped off. I think what happens is that the less durable green finish paint wears off in the sun and leaves the gray filler primer which fades over time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joel Mosley

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/16/2019
I have been working on the engine in my spare time and am just about done. The mag still wont start the engine so i am going to charge the magnets. I still need a new mag wire and Fahnstock clip for the ignitor, a governor weight cover and just a bit more clean-up. I used Flood brand Penetrol for the first time on an engine. It is easily applied and dried quickly. Hopefully it is durable too.

Attachments

Last edited:

WildPig

Registered
Joel,

For what it's worth, in my experience, it is difficult to start an engine on a rotary mag unless the engine and the mag are in near perfect condition--and timing and fuel are set accordingly. The mag needs a fair amount of spin to get good spark and the larger the engine, the more difficult that becomes when turned over manually. Seems like you are on the right path, though. You have it looking great!

Good luck. I enjoy your posts.
WILDPIG