• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Detroit 2-53 Diesel

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019
Ok I have a question on these old 2 strokes. I have a 2-53 in a Allis HD-5, it sat for many years and the condensation accumulated under the valve cover. It corroder the injector poppet return spring to the point it broke the spring when I got it running. The injector still works but it doesn't get a full stroke because it doesn't always return to the top of stroke due to the weakened spring. I need to replace the spring but haven't figured out how it comes apart, I would think it can be done without pulling the injector assembly from the head. I have been trying to find a parts break down on these units but to no avail. Also where to find a new spring. The old girl has really come back in good form considering it sat under a tree for close to 40 years. It starts and runs better the more that I use it and if I can get this problem fixed I can put it to some real work. All the old Detroit guys I knew around here are either in the nursing home or worse, there has to be a few out there yet I hope. F.J.W.

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
Re: Detroit 2-53 diesel

Not gonna happen, FJ-:)
You will have to pull the injector, then compress the spring, pry the bottom of it up & pull the stop pin out that retains the follower. the broken spring will actually make it easier to do... Might do it in the head, but if you drop the pin down in the head, you're in for a bigger hassle. Different injectors use different springs so you'll have to go by the injector number...Actually, those are so cheap you should just pull both injectors & trade 'em in for rebuilts...treat the ol' gal to a tune-up...
A bad injector can really mess up a Detroit...burn holes in pistons, & stuff like that...

John Schwiebert

Registered

Was this crawler repowered? They original engine was a 2-71 not a 2-53. Also those 2-71 engines are little different than the larger 71 series.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

Thanks for the replies, this old tractor shows 2200 hrs. on the clock and it does work so that is probably the correct hrs. It has HV 6 on the injectors and the engine # on the block is 2A31810 and below that is AC 3. I thought that it was a 53 series as it is so small but it definitely is the original motor. The Nebraska Test book doesn't tell what series was used but lists the bore as 4.250. Never seen a 2-71 up close before so not sure maybe the engine # will ID it. Is there a special trick to pull the injectors as I have had the clamp off earlier and couldn't move it? Maybe it's just grown in with age. Where is a good source for these parts? F.J.W.

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

You know now that you mention it Craig, This motor does seem larger than the JD 435 so maybe it is a 2-71. Don't have them side by side to compare. Still they would have done better if they have put in a bit bigger motor, it needs the rpm. up pretty high to do much, of course that's somewhat normal for a Detroit.

Klicknative

Registered

Four and a quarter bore makes it a 2-71. Reman injectors would be your best bet, IMHO. You can update to N series injectors and any decent Detroit shop should know what ones you need. Be sure you know about the runaway issues and what not, including using SAE 40 oil ONLY. Otherwise they are pretty much bomb proof and with 2200 hours she ought to run like a (loud) Swiss watch. Hopefully somebody has a PDF shop manual you can download.

S Mullins

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/13/2016

71 's have oval side inspect covers one for each cyl,53's have one long cover. i think this is true for all but correct me if i'm wrong.

boaterri

Registered

You can get any parts you need directly from Detroit Diesel/Allison/MTU. I have 6-71TIs in my boat and have had great success in getting parts from them.

I did not notice where you are located but if there is any commercial fishing near you there will probably be an engine shop that is very familiar with all of the DD products.

Good luck,

Rick

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

71 has big hand knobs on the valve cover, 53 has stove bolts around the outside edge,,,
you'll probably have to get a heel bar under the injector body to pop it loose.
There's a truck shop here that still handles a lot of 2-stroke parts-they are starting to get a little harder to find though...be a sad day when the scream of the wild Jimmie is no longer heard across this great country of ours...:D

Rick McKay

Registered
Last Subscription Date
04/28/2015

HD5's had a 271. I've got one here. The 253 would be pretty light on power in a tractor that size. You can often find a deal on nos or rebuilt injectors on ebay. Have Fun listening to the music of the Detroit Sympathy Orchestra.

Rick

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

Thanks for the info, it does have the 2 large hand knobs on the valve cover so it's a 2-71.

K-Tron

Registered

Your 2-71 is most definitely original if the head is machined to only accept HV, or "high valve" injectors. They are a straight body non-offset injector. Sourcing a new one might be difficult. Call Timothy at Leid Diesel Service in Newville, PA. 1-717-776-7725. Tell him Chris referred you. I am sure he has numerous new high valve injectors sitting on the shelf ready for use. If you want a little more power, try HV-7's or HV9's Figure $75-100 an injector. I would replace both if I were you.

Chris

I like oldstuff

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/09/2015

Aah yes 2 stroke Detroits. Americas way of turning diesel fuel directly into noise. I love them things!!

Norm W

Registered

Instead of going with the bigger HV70 injectors, try a HN 60 or even a HN55 injector. Pouring more fuel into a Detroit, if you don't keep it wound up, just produces black smoke, wasted fuel and a possibility of cracked sleeves and or burned pistons. The HV injectors are "N" type injectors in a HV body. They have a better spray pattern than the old "HVs". Have somebody that has worked on the 71 series set the injector timing and set the rack. In a marine operation it isn't easy to "lug" an engine. It is real easy in a highway or earth moving situation. A Detroit doesn't really complain, like a gas engine would if lugged, it will just come apart. I've had "Operators" tell me, "It just lost power.":shrug: But you know what they've been doing when you pull the head and can count piston rings looking down from the top.:rant:

Oooops that should have read, "HN injectors are "N" type in a "HV" body. Can't see the forest for the trees when proof reading.

Butch B

Registered

the 2A is a 2-71 engine the A is the id.for the 71 cubic inch engines the number is the number of cylinders hence a 2-71 is two cylinder 71 cubic inches per cylinder also replace the injectors with the S replacement it is an N injector (higher pressure) with the old HV ar
raingment this will give you a much better running ,cleaner and easier starting unit

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

I knew this was the place to ask questions. I've learned a lot that should really help. Never really had much internal contact with these other than to run one occasionally. F.J.W.

beantownbob

Registered

i have a 2-53 in a basket need to know if the shell tangs in the main bearing caps are opposite or on the same side
they fit both ways they dont decifer which way in service manual the say take them out the way they where well they where all ready out can anyone help me thanks

beantownbob

Registered

Sorry an old tractor guy across the street told me they have to be opposite or the bearings will spin duh
oh well some one told me there is no dumb questions when rebuilding one of these guys

ronm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

Well, if it was a JD or almost any other engine, your old tractor guy is wrong...MOST engines, the tangs go on the same side. You're right, the Detroit manual doesn't specifically say, & it has been too long since I did one for me to remember...the pic in the 2-53 book showing the thrust washer installation seems to indicate they go on the same side. Can't you see a mark where the tang was before on the cap or block face? Very few engines will go together with the caps backwards & turn over...normally it will lock the crank up when you torque them down.