Detroit diesel / GM diesel engine

MatthewT

Hi , I have been asked for help trying to put an age on two 6-71 ( GM )Detroit diesel engines .
One engine has the numbers 671 RC 34 s/n 671863323M
and the second engine has the s/n 6A58984
I have been in contact with MTU/Penske and for the first engine they told me that it was build as a GM diesel before the Detroit diesel brand name was used and were not able to put a build year on it only late 50's / early 60's as they do not have access to these build records .
The second they could only say 70's .
I wonder if any knowledgeable person out there in engine land could help me put a closer build time frame on those two engines .
Thanks
Regards
Matthew

Grigg

First one is early.
My serial number book only starts with 1971. Roughly extrapolating from number made in 1971 your engine is approximately 10 years earlier, but no telling and not likely production was same for 10 years running. I'd guess broadly "50's".

Unless that number is incomplete, is it missing a digit?

Grigg

I found a better guide in my collection.
First 6-71 built in 1960 is 6A90964
So 6A58984 might be mid or early 50's.

If your engines have a limiting or variable governor on them assuming they were installed on the original assembly of the engines there is a name plate on the side of the governor. The part number and the manufacture date of governor are stamped there. This will not give you the exact manufacture date of the engine but it puts you in the ball park.

MatthewT

Thank you for your reply , I am just looking at a photo on my phone and I see I made a mistake with the old serial number which is 67186323.
I had one to many 3's last time .

I will look at the engines again next week as I cannot remember what type of governor they fitted with . Both are factory fitted with Rockford centre PTO's which are fitted with a large vee belt pulley which were driving split case water pumps . Both engines are mounted in a factory base and have a hood and fold up side panels covering the engine . Are you able to upload photos to a thread ??
Thanks
Regards
Matthew

MatthewT

6-71 (1)DD.jpg

6-71 (2)DD.jpg

6-71 (3)DD.jpg

6-71 DD.jpg
Hi , I took a few photos this afternoon and I have seen Woodward brand governors before but not a King-Seeley brand before .
Regards
Matthew

I worked on a lot of these power units in the mid 60`s in central Pennsylvania. They used 4 and 6-71`s They were in truck mounted portable feed grinders and well drilling rigs.

MatthewT

Hi , the two 6-71 (GM) Detroit diesels belong to the Christchurch City Council in New Zealand and were removed from a water pumping station about ten years ago . Until recently they were in covered storage but have now been removed to the open air .
The ChCh City Council wants to move them on to some Historical Machinery Society rather than sell them for scrap . Both engines were runner when removed but their radiators have disappeared . Any thoughts on an suitable Society ?
Thanks

MatthewT

Hi , thank you for your suggestions , I have been on to the NZ Vintage Machinery club at McLeans Island and they are interested so they will be getting a new home shortly .
I will have to take a few more photos and put them up above .
Thanks again
Regards
Matthew