• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Diesel Cast Welding in Minnesota

K-Tron

Registered
Has anyone on here used Diesel Cast Welding in Blaine, Minnesota?

If so, what has your experience been?

I am looking to have a pair of antique liquid cooled diesel cylinder heads professionally welded in the water jacket areas.

Chris

Hubbie

Registered
I wouldn’t have them welded. I would have them stitched. Old cast isn’t like the cast of today. Since it is cracked, it will continue to crack if welded.

cobbadog

Registered
Either option may be ok. Technology has come a long way with many different types of welding rods available. I would take it to the Company you have in mind so they can look at what the challenge will be, access the die cast and then see if they will do the job and will they garrantee the job.
Stitching is a time and tested process that does work but I have not seen it used on a head if it is in the combustion chamber but should be good if it is just the water jacket area.
Both are time comsuming so won't be a cheap exercise.

cornbinder89

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
05/11/2020
Either option may be ok. Technology has come a long way with many different types of welding rods available. I would take it to the Company you have in mind so they can look at what the challenge will be, access the die cast and then see if they will do the job and will they garrantee the job.
Stitching is a time and tested process that does work but I have not seen it used on a head if it is in the combustion chamber but should be good if it is just the water jacket area.
Both are time comsuming so won't be a cheap exercise.
Metal stiching can be used in the combustion area, At least according to the their website. Lots of work.

slip knot

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/27/2019
I've had the stitching done in a gas engine combustion chamber, Don't know about diesel tho. Call the shop up and see what they think.