• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE in your location!

Different ignition systems

vern0n

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2013
Since the price of a magneto can sometimes count for half or even more the cost of an engine, what types of ignition have some of you guys come up with? I am always amazed at the genious of some of you guys on Smokstak. What have you used? Old car distrubutor, bar-b-que ignitor, blower motor as a generator for points? High tech stuff, low tech? Pictures help to understand. I'm looking into using one of those hand held Tazer guns for a system, (just having too much fun training the dog with it right now).

Ed Stoller

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
Funny you should ask. I have a Stover CT 2 without a magneto and today I am putting together an automotive type Ignition we use on Tecumseh HH120 thru OH 160. It has a small rear earth magnet on the cam gear and a Trigger coil mounted near by. The trigger sends a pulse to a Wells CR 109 Control module which switches the conventional coil. When I get done, I plan to publish the project. Also, we put RE magnets on Ron Frosts Merry and a magnetic reed switch which feeds a points Saver to switch the coil. See http://home.earthlink.net/~edstoller/id5.html.