• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Disston Saw Question

Weezer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2014
Hello everyone, I’ve been trying to get a hold of Brian at APSE for fuel meter rebuild parts for my DO-100 and 101. Anyone had a sighting or info?
Thanks, Jim

gdstew

Registered
I hate to admit this but, back in the early 50's when we sold Disston, we sent the carbs back to Bendix to be redone. We had several spares and we just swapped them back and forth. Bendix had a special program just for their carbs. While the DA211 was one of the best "big" saws ever built, The DO100/101 were probably one of the worst saws ever!

K-Tron

Registered
Jim,
You are out of luck. Nobody can get in touch with Brian anymore. I will PM you details.

Chris

Weezer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2014
Thanks Guys, I guess we're on our own. The nice one I have has the dealer sticker still on it, the business is still open, in the same building!
I'm driving out there today hoping there's a dusty box up on a shelf. Probably no good, but I have to try. At the least they'll get a kick out of seeing a saw they sold 70 years ago. The ugly duckling sister might get a tillotson or an old Honda motorcycle carb. I don't want to butcher up the "pretty" one, even if it doesn't run. Thanks for the info! Jim

gdstew

Registered
Inside the carb is a "spinner" that is gear driven off the crankshaft, kind of a supercharger. If you find a new diaphragm, it will be made from rubber and todays ethanol gas will destroy it very quickly. Careful what fuel you use.
I had 3 of those saws and finally gave up when I ran out of hair!

Weezer

Registered
Last Subscription Date
01/07/2014
Ran out to Niemeyer's in Newtown Pa. today,the dealership that originally sold the saw, boy were they surprised! Not every day a 70 year old saw comes back in the front door. Knew all about them (who could forget that disaster) Told me they had a DA-211 in the front window they used to rent out :eek: up into the '70s. No dusty parts though. Still, it was worth it seeing the reaction, even took pictures of the saw with their tag on it. Stihl dealer now, nice family, my next work saw will be from them. They had a couple old Briggs up on a shelf, maybe when my end comes it can go home and live there again. On to the next project...................