• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Diston-Mercury Parts Availability

Roger H.

Registered
I purchased a vintage racing kart that has a Mercury-Diston chain saw engine on it. It was raced in Connecticut in the early 1960’s. I bought it from the original owner. Rather than converting it to a more conventional engine of that period (McCulloch, West Bend, etc.), I’d like to keep it as purchased. It’s very unique. The owner made his own intake manifold to accommodate dual Tillotson carbs. It also has rare after market GEM mufflers. I’ve taken the engine apart and it’s in good shape. I’ll have to go through it thoroughly before trying to start it. I’m going to need gaskets for the cylinder base, magneto, intake and seals for the crank. Does anyone know of a source for these? The only identifying # on the engine is SKD1438DX, Type FM (Fairbanks-Morse). The magneto is marked as H2B70A, A240851. Any help would be appreciated.

gdstew

Registered
Re: Diston-Mercury parts availability

A very popular Disston used in karting in the early 60s was the DA-211. It was a horizontal twin cylinder "lighter" weight engine with a centrifugal clutch. These were modified quite a bit. Problem is---they had Bendix flywheel ignition!
With a F-M impulse magneto ignition, I'm guessing what you have is actually what Disston called the "Heavy Duty". These were pretty heavy ( normal saw was 126 lbs )and had a hand clutch. These were vertical cylinder twins, low RPM but gobs of power. This would not be "the ideal" engine but could be lots of fun experimenting with.
A picture to help ID would help. Modified as such, who knows just what you have?

Roger H.

Registered
Re: Diston-Mercury parts availability

Thanks for your reply. I’ll post some photos, to see if that helps identify it. It’s currently apart @ a friend’s shop. Do those identification #s mean anything? The kart has an axle clutch on it. I think it’s a Bystrom, although early Bystroms didn’t have a cooling collar and this one does. As I best recall, Roy Bystrom didn’t offer cooling collars until the early 70’s. The kart was supposedly parked in the mid 60s. As you mentioned, the engine is quite heavy...not ideal, but still unique. Do you know of a source for gaskets/seals?

Roger H.
WOW! I thought I was one of the only guys who has a DM go kart engine set up!!
Mine is a KB7AY 11 hp that someone set up for racing. It still sports the mag with a unique square tube exhaust and it screams! I am going to build a vintage go kart and burn some rubber soon! I would really enjoy talking about it by phone so feel free to call me any time.
I can chat evenings Mon, Tues, Thrs and Sunday afternoons.
DM engine twins are my favorite twins. I am also building a mini bike with a 6 hp DM pump engine as well.

Best regards,

Steven P. Williams
Gold Bar, WA
360-535-1110