• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Ditch Witch M422 Manuals

19fingers55

Registered
If you need a copy of these manuals Operators,Service and Parts Manuals please contact me through SmokStak forum
and I will E-mail you a copy..
We must thank Ditch Witch Virginia USA for this information.

hdrust

Registered
Hi
I read your posts occassionaly and am a regular visitor to the smokstak... end up here usually as the result of some search when trying to fix a small engine.
I recently purchased a Ditch Witch M422, and of course came across your post for manuals. My M422 is an earlier version and has set outside for a long time but I think it will live and be more than sufficient for may rare use, but I would like to find the Service and Owners manuals, whatever is available, so I don't do something stupid while maintaining or operating the machine.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

fingloneranger

Registered
If you need a copy of these manuals Operators,Service and Parts Manuals please contact me through SmokStak forum
Hi, I bought a ditch witch m422 two years ago, it's up and running now. Great old machine. I've dug 500 ft. so far and it is about time to start painting it. I see you are offering some manuals and info on this machine. I would love to have a copy of this if posable. REGARDS KEITH svemptypockets@yahoo.com

fingloneranger

Registered
I do not have (outlook express).? Never udes it, tried once did not mess with anymore. So help me out, Tell me What to do. I really want this Info. SORRY Keith

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:13 PM ----------

Not so sorry, Try sending again Ian, I think that I set up OUTLOOK EXPRESS properly. REGARDS KEITH this will be a tral?

fingloneranger

Registered
Hi Ian, just wanted to say THANKS SO MUCH for the info. I'm finding it to be so good, there is stuff here that I did not know but was looking for and more. Again THANKS. REGARDS KEITH

RSCurtis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/20/2013
I used to sell DW equipment during that era so if you have any questions, let me know.

fingloneranger

Registered
OK, Lets see what you know. My old M422 is not electric start, If I find an old wisconsin AGND that is electric start will I be able to add the electric start to mine. Like starter,flywheel, shroud, and will my old motor accept it? REGARDS KEITH

19fingers55

Registered
I have no idea you will have to look if it can fit to existing motor....
I made a starter from and old starter motor I will post a picture for you when I get home I am away working at the moment..

RSCurtis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/20/2013
I don't see why not, if you can find the parts. However, when set up right, that AGND will start without even using a rope. You can turn the rope sheave by hand to start it. In 1980, I attended a 2 week sales school at the factory in Oklahoma. I started an M422 that way and the instructor went nuts, claiming it wasn't "safe".

You need two things: A magneto that is working properly, and two, verify that the vacuum relief spring on the choke butterfly is intact. If it is not, you can't effectively choke the engine. Many times, the spring will break and go right through the engine. Remove the intake elbow to check it.

Spoon1956

Registered
Hi
I have an old and until recently reliable M422. I would REALLY appreciate a copy of the manuals if it's not too much trouble.
My email address is woods.haven@hotmail.com.
I'm near Goulburn, NSW. After you Queenslanders keep winning the state of origin I'm hoping you'll take pity on me.
Thanks

19fingers55

Registered
Spoon1956 I have tried sending manuals twice an hour apart and fail
to deliver notification comes back..do you have another email address
or do i have to send QLD state of Origin team down to beat you.....
cheers
Ian

frogholr

Registered
Hello!

I've recently aquired a cool old M422 Ditch Witch with a Wisconsin AGND motor w/ Magnito. The machine looks to have a lot of life left, but no spark from the Mag. Sounds like you have copies of the manuals for the machine and motor? I would greatly appreciate if I could request copies. If you let me know your address, I'll send you homemade cookies!

Thanks in advance!

Lance
360-853-5832
frogholrEugene@gmail.com

Arborigine

Registered
I brought home a Ditch Witch model C-9 the other day, low wear on the tires and chain. Cleaned out the fuel system and the Wisconson fired right up, the chain runs and it goes forward. Doesn't seem to go into reverse for digging. Do you have the operators manual for this model? I hope it is operator error rather than a planetary gear problem.

RSCurtis

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/20/2013
Make sure that the pawls on the speed reducer/reverser are working properly. It is not uncommon for their springs to break and then they will not stay in their intended position. The planetary speed reducer is a very simple design, I've never seen one fail.

userfriendly

Registered
I am also looking for a ditch witch manuel for a M422. New to this any help in acquiring one would be appreciated.

userfriendly

Registered
I also am looking for a manual/operators/service/ and parts for a ditch witch m422 .If you could help me in acquiring any information would be greatly appreciated also.