• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in the blanks. - IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS OR SATELLITE, ENTER YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! All registrations are manually approved.

Onan: DJC - 3C - YD Generator Output Connections

Nielsys

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/28/2019
Working on final permanent install of a 12.0 Kw DJC 3C and now realize that the neutral leads (leads T2/T3) are bonded to the case on the generator. I am wondering if I can simply isolate these leads thereby turning the set into a floating neutral genset, rather than the bonded neutral it is now configured as. This will allow me to reuse my existing transfer switch without having to add a third pole (neutral) to the switch.Thoughts ?

Thanks
Chris

Nielsys

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/28/2019
I cannot tell if in fact the bonding of the neutrals (T2-T3 leads- to the junction box) was done at the factory or if it was done by the previous installer. Any chance someone has an unmolested 3C 120/240 generator they could verify this on ? A pic of the junction box would verify this.

Thanks

Nielsys

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
11/28/2019
Thanks, as I suspected due to the fact that the bonding does not look like it was done in the factory.

VelocityDave

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
06/23/2019
Nielsys I can not say for sure but I have 2 JCs and a DJC and a DJE and they were all done exactly the same. Where the wires come out of the stator at the connection box a 1/4” bolt is ran up threw the bottom of the box. The generator is bonded to this bolt. Don’t know if it’s factory but hard to believe 4 generators from different parts of the country were done exactly the same. I had just assumed it was factory. Pic of my 12.5 JC below . I have redone it but it is exactly as it was when I got it.

David

Attachments