• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. Be Considerate, this is an application to JOIN Smokstak, therefore it becomes part of a decision to open the door to you or send you off to the dropout file. Place your City, State, Country in the location box and it will be compared to where the internet lookup utilities say that you are. Don't give me a zip code to look up, the Eject button is much easier. We get hundreds of applications, so there is not time for monkey business.

Does anyone know what kind of engine this is?

Chuck R

Registered
Last Subscription Date
12/02/2012
I am trying to find out if anyone knows what kind of engine this is, I have been given a couple of different opinions. There are no tags numbers or any identifing marks on it.

Attachments

Doug Kimball

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
12/10/2019
Chuck,
Get a number off the Webster ignitor/bracket .... you may have to release mag. Unusual hopper opening.

Robert Haus

Registered
I agree with Doug...get those numbers off the bracket/mag....

The new variations of the "big yellow book" have an appendix of these numbers and what they went to.....it would enable you to narrow it down quite a bit I would suspect...if you don't have the book with the numbers, post them here and someone will be able to look them up and tell you which mfr it was that used that one.

rh

vern0n

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/27/2013
Looks pretty rare whith that hopper opening and the main caps on the back side of the frame. I have seen one other engine with this style mains, (I don't remember the hopper), and no one knows who made it either.

Ray Gardner

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2020
I have seen a 7 hp Monarch made by Nelson Bros with that exact main bearing mounting, I think you have a very special Engine.
Ray.

John Merry

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/11/2020
I have seen 2 other engines including the one Ray mentioned with the crankshaft and flywheels hanging out past the base with the bearing caps taking the force of ignition, not to mention the shear force of the flywheel crankshaft weight. It looks like a weak design (but great for a collector) My theory is, the first few engines made had a name tag but after the engines started self-destructing from the design flaw, that they quit putting their name on it so it would be hard to find the maker to complain.

Les Layton

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/11/2019
David Brown brings a Monarch to Powerland quite often that is built this way. I took several pictures but cannot find the at this moment. Seems his also has a strange hopper. Les

oldiron

Registered
A good friend of mine had an engine just like this for many years. Dont know who got it after he sold it but anyway it is an American Boy engine. My friend searched for many months to identify his and finally spoke with someone who had an original booklet showing this engine. Probably about 1 1/2-2 h.p. it is very unusual the way the main bearing caps bolt on. I have a picture of his engine somewhere, will try to find it and post it here in a day or so. Very nice engine!

Jason Dahm

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/12/2019
Hi, Chuck, I think it is a George Miller made in Iowa for Thomas Jeffery, the builder of the Jeffery Car, in Kenosha, WI. I just saw an original one at a sale last year. It was closer to you than me. Hope this helps, Jason.

Geoff V

Registered
Last Subscription Date
09/30/2018
I seen An Engine very similar to this It has some Original Stenceling on it, That read "jeffery"

Jl73

Registered
It was made by Goerge B Miller and sons company. I have the same engine with the original tag. Once I figure out how to post photos I can post my engine and tag that's on it.