• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS. GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Doing a pair of Rumely cylinders

Mark Schneider

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
Re: Doing a pair of Rumley cylinders

That's a good question...or slightly rephrased would be "What was the original piston to cylinder bore clearance that Advance Rumely gave their 2 cylinder Oilpull engines when new?"

I imagine that this clearance would be dictated by the operating temperature of the cooling system and the related components under load. Most of the "rule of thumb" clearance numbers used now are calculated assuming water as coolant. With water being used maximum cooling system temps are limited to the boiling point of water...212 degrees F. However the tractor in question uses light oil as a cooling medium without the benefit of a conventional tubular radiator so this temperature has to be hotter...and maybe much hotter?

Has anyone established just how hot the cooling oil gets in an Oilpull engine under load?:confused:

Last edited:

FWurth

One Millionth Post
Last Subscription Date
07/29/2019

They run hot enough that any water trapped in the cooling oil will turn to steam and it will vent off like a guyser at Yellowstone! Those big pistons will heat up and expand a good bit, likely will need .008- .010 clearance?

LukeSte

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/17/2019

Just did mine... did 11 thousandths

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019

I’m doing them 8.000. The clearance is on the pistons.

AngrySailor

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/31/2020
Nice work. Where did you source the material for the sleeves? I have used LA Sleeve for some MUCH small projects, I bet those would not be cheap from them!

What are you using for a honing machine? One friend of mine had converted an old lathe bed with a hydraulic motor and limit switches to feed the hone and its drive motor back and forth. He mostly did BIG hydraulic cylinders, some over 20" bore and 15-20 foot stroke. Ship stuff.

Reed Engine

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/10/2019
I pick up sleeves wherever I can. Common to use Melling or even buy cast iron pipe and machine both OD and ID. Some place in Texas has the pipe, I forget their name right now.

My honing machine is me. I use a Sunnen hone in a 1/2” drill.

19-65Port

Registered
Must be a special rumely to have the clearance on the pistons. My 14-28 was exactly .011 over 7 inch at the bottom of the bore and perfectly round. The 20-40 were restoring one of the 15 or so rumelys we have restored was .013 over at the bottom of the bore and also round. None of ours has locked up while plowing or running a machine on the belt.