• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron, please register and join us. When registering, please provide your CITY and STATE as your location!

Domestic Hit & Miss side Shaft 2Hp?

willsmith123

Registered
Hello, I am looking for opinions on the size of this engine. Most have said 2 Hp early model of course, 5" piston 6" stroke, 24" Flywheels and serial # 572 , so 1905 is what i have learned so far and hoping someone may have a serial number list or history on Domestics. This is my first and i have gotten some great information from other groups and wanted to try this site.
Thank you !!

Attachments

CBarth66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/26/2018
Wow, that's a nice early Domestic! I have a 1912 2hp. type A Domestic farm engine. Does that engine have the gear on the crankshaft on the inside next to the flywheel? I could not see in your pictures. That would be for a water pump that mounts on the rear. That's the lowest serial # that I have seen. Nice engine.

Galan Hackman

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
12/11/2019
Did some more research and it is a 3hp. Mine has a 4 inch piston with 24 inch flywheels. The 3hp has a 5 inch piston with 24 inch flywheels. The early 3hp must of had the same style hopper as the early 2hp.
Nice engine!! Congratulations!!

Attachments

CBarth66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/26/2018
Thanks. Mine is stuck and needs a full restoration. That will be done when I get a couple other engines finished. I plan on getting a cart from Cattail foundry for it.

Heavy Metal

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
01/10/2019
I need a cart as well, what can you tell me about Cattail foundry?
Thank you!
Cattail Foundry is an Amish run foundry not far north of you. They can cast parts for you and they also stock parts from their catalog like mufflers and cart parts. Here is their info.

167 W Cattail Rd, Gordonville, PA 17529
(717) 768-7323

CBarth66

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/26/2018
I have never been in contact with Cattail, but I have heard that when you call you leave your number and they'll call you back. No phone at their place but somewhere else?

Last edited:

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
That engine has the real early block type latch out and no speed control. That size engine eventually became 4hp when they changed to the type F spark plug later type F. Rob

Bill Hazzard

Registered
Last Subscription Date
08/28/2008
I have never been in contact with Cattail, but I have heard that when you call you leave your number and they'll call you back. No phone at their place but somewhere else?
The phone is in a separate booth at the edge of the field, but it is near the office.

B.C. Cushing

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
02/13/2020
Dennis Peters may have the wheels and cart for your engine. His reproduction carts are second to none. Would be worth a call. He has the wheels cast at Cattail. Cattail is excellent to deal with, fair prices and prompt in delivering the goods.

Scooby

Registered
Last Subscription Date
11/14/2018
My engine is the same size as yours. It has 24 in. flywheels, 4 in piston and the serial no. is 985 which makes it a 1907. When I found the engine it was missing the shroud,muffler and ignitor- later went back and found the missing parts. The interesting thing about my engine is that it is tagged 1&1/2 HP

willsmith123

Registered
My engine is the same size as yours. It has 24 in. flywheels, 4 in piston and the serial no. is 985 which makes it a 1907. When I found the engine it was missing the shroud,muffler and ignitor- later went back and found the missing parts. The interesting thing about my engine is that it is tagged 1&1/2 HP
Very nice !! any photos and do you have a serial number list?

Thank you!