• If you like antique engines, vintage tractors or old iron machinery, register and join us. When you register on Smokstak, please give complete answers and fill in all blanks. IF YOU ARE ON WIRELESS, GIVE YOUR CITY AND STATE! NO ZIPCODES! We get hundreds of applications, so there is no time to deal with missing information.

Doug Thornhill Auction - view from the field

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
Well it came and went like a warm summer breaze.
Some sold very well, some sold cheap. The dealers all had several thing's and engines but I am sure they felt not near enough.
The Friday part had more people than today with the engines. I estimated maybe 125 bidders today?. The parking lot was twice as full Friday ? The local flea market dealers and junkers had a field day on the rows and rows of pallets and rows of machinery cars amd like. 9 Simi trailers full . People were buying things off the junk man out of them. One trailer brought 900 and you could see at least one engine hurried. They were packed so full there was no way to know. The rest were 200 each ?
I ended up with a 20 hp Reid, an odd base and flywheels, the vertical FBM T air compressor and an ARACO 4 hp upright air cooled. Maybe a rail car motor. Heavy. As usual after looking at what just sold for high they sold some cheap but I was standing there jawing.
They had 3 Reid tags. One was cast iron, it went crazy, then the second was pretty high as I walked away. Then my tag sold. 100 feet away my poor ole ears had no problem hearing ten dollars. Got that sick feeling like when you hear an old tire blow going down the road, shit.
Still here camped out but there will be no sleep as there is a band with 400 people and beer trucks just East over the hill. They were there last night. We all thought it was Jona with his radio .

Attachments

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
Re: Doug Thornhill Auction , view from the field.

This was definitely an after dark thing to be doing. But some pieces did fall off.Turnbull looked like a pit bull grabing the governor off the Bessemer as the excavator grabbed .
He had came over frantic asking for my pipe wrench and monkey wrench . They loaded a Simi in a out 45 minutes.

Attachments

Motormowers

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
07/13/2019
Shame. Another case of people hoarding and hoarding and it only gets scrapped anyways.......:bonk:

Chuck Burlingame

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/12/2019
I placed an online bid and the item sold for my bid , but they never notified me one way or another , you can`t contact them the office is closed on Saturday so ?????? What kind of action company is this?

ScooterBob

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
03/23/2019
you can`t contact them the office is closed on Saturday so ?????? What kind of action company is this?
Office was probably closed because they were still selling stuff till about 2pm.

Only the 4 rows of "online bidding also" stuff is on the results list posted above, none of the stuff sold later Saturday, or all day Friday is on the list.

Rob Charles

Sponsor
Last Subscription Date
04/05/2017
About how many of the big engines wound up scrapped? A lot of the prices seemed to be less then scrap. Rob

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
About how many of the big engines wound up scrapped? A lot of the prices seemed to be less then scrap. Rob
The large opposed Bessemer went. I am not sure which one had the generator but it went too. I think the Ames went. Then there were at least 6 altogether Bessemer two cycle Springfield and maybe one Jones? Went.
Jonah Close finally woke up and bought 2 after the sale and I got a Reid 20 hp.
At least 3 large multi engines went. I weighed loaded and will weigh empty and get a weight on thw Reid but it may be 3 tons for $300. Breakage at the scrap yard is 85 where I go. The yard pretty much bought these. The ones Jonah bought were from another scrapper. He was cheaper.
Several of us were buying parts from the scrapers. It would be hard to imagine but I bought governors from a guy that bought pallets and a KW high bar mag was there in a bucket of junk in the lines.
As I was cutting with my torch bolts for Pludge he walked over and bought mufflers and a large Lukenheimer oil field oiler.

Attachments

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
I placed an online bid and the item sold for my bid , but they never notified me one way or another , you can`t contact them the office is closed on Saturday so ?????? What kind of action company is this?

Since you did not say if you won the bid? Not sure how it ended up. But I can say despite several parts misplaced and the loader guys not knowing how to chain things ( they lifted some by crank throws and connecting rods, strapped up close to the cylinder). And he did not chain things to the loader as he moved them on the forks. He let 2 bounce off and roll around breaking flywheels and dropped one twice.
Other than that I thought they did pretty well. He only stopped the sale once and balled out the crowd for being so darn cheap. He hated splitting bids. He wanted to be 25-30. He did not want to hear 27.50. But he ended up getting it anyway. We don't listen now do we.
I did not see him bump bids. I think he lost one bidder as he ducked when he won. So he had to resell 1 thing I seen. That's pretty good.
He also kept the sale moving along . Seldom cracking stupid jokes and wasting time with stupid stories like some auctioneers. No real hurrying either. He did not miss bids like some aauctioneers always
pulling the trigger too soon.
So my synapses is that Polk is a pretty good auction company. He is not an engine man. He is into tractor sales where the tires cost more than the average engine. So maybe you get what pay for there.
My opinion, pretty good auction company.
As for the way it was set up, that was the families fault and the deceased owners. He was paranoid about things being stolen so he tore things apart and hid them in various places. So instead of stolen, they were given away. Smart.
I knew Doug and always like to visit him at Portland. He use to set with the 4 hp Famous on 2 wheel trailer by the old swap tent. He had invited me to come down once. But after that he did not like company

---------- Post added at 08:38:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22:58 AM ----------

Did Jonah get the 8cyl. Foos?
Yes and it was loaded and on its way the next morning, and several of the big engines. At least 2 bought from the scrapper.

Last edited:

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
If your talking of a flywheel engine it was not . The one I was talking of was a heavy monstrosity newer motor. It had a side cover with Ames on it.

Matthew Guy Clarke

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
09/23/2019
Here are the governors I bought . An antique dealer bought them out in the line of pallets. But he was paying some times 300 for a pallet. His pickup with rack was piled 7 feet high at the front. Everything was yard art to him.One guy went over right ahead of me and bought a really nice governor from a Bessemer. It was laying there on the pallet where everyone could see it. The ones I bought were laying on the tailgate of the antique guys truck as he drove around loading. So must not been anyone want them. Some of the engine's that sold for under 400 had governors on them . many were gone in 3 hours. People were loading out like a livestock sale.

Attachments

Rick Trotnic

Subscriber
Last Subscription Date
01/05/2019
Thanks to all the guys that bought and saved what they could. Mine might be worth more now you think?